Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First time poster but really need some help on this topic. My dog lex is germanshepard/doberman rescue which i found from a shelter 3 years ago. she had been hit by a car before i got her so she was permanently injured but lived a happy life. i couldnt get her neutered because our vet didnt recommend we do so given her history with injuries (she had a small cut that she knawed at for 3 years and we had to disinfect it everyday and make sure she didnt touch it as much as she tried). She got pregnant and gave birth to 6 pups. the next day she died because there had been one more pup that she gave birth to a day late that caused septic shock. we have been bottle feeding the pups according to a strict schedule with specific puppy milk and making sure they are kept clean and warm. somehow they came down with an infection despite our best efforts. we ve taken them to 3 vets already to just check up on them and give us the best advice on how to best treat their infection. unfortunately, in the area where we live the vets each have their own opinion and have been completely contradictory. two passed away despite all that we tried. from the remaining 4, two are healthy, eating and defecating normally and we are very happy with their progress. however my question is regarding the other two;

1. The girl - Patches - She had diarrhea for a long time and started loosing patches of hair. she has started to eat better and looks better except for the hair loss. any idea why?

2. The boy - Matt - matt had normal function of his hind legs until 3 days ago where he stopped moving them. he is eating and urinating/defecating normally he just isnt moving his back legs. we are so worried and have asked 2/3 vets on their opinions they had recommended we start him on amoxcillin and we have been for the past 4 days with no change. please if anyone knows what we can do or has experienced a similar situation because with all my research i cant find anyone that has gone through something similar or knows what sudden 2 week old puppy paralysis of hind legs means!!

Im so sorry for the long post; felt like i had to explain the whole situation. please help

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
What a terrible situation. I'm sorry for the loss of your dog, and the two pups and I really just wanted to lend some moral support. I hope the other two pups come out of it okay.

About the girl, Patches (ironic name, hey?) is she still losing patches of hair, or are you concerned that the hair hasn't grown back yet? From what I understand, dog hair can take a long time to grow back so she'll probably look awful for a while because of the missing hair, even if all of her other symptoms are gone.

About the boy, Matt - can you tell if he has any sensation in his legs or is he just not moving them? Because it was an infection my fear would be that it somehow got into his brain/spine, but there are many others here who are much more knowledgeable, experienced, and qualified.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt passed away yesterday. We re praying and fighting that the rest make it. Patches just has lost hair patches everywhere and it doesnt matter how she looks like as long as shes healthy and happy. Thank you for your support gingerkid it is very appreciated. If anyone has any advice about patches or just taking care of almost 3 weeks old orphaned pups, let me know. I have read all i can online and asked lots of vets but more information is always helpful!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts