Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear members!
My name is Elke and this is my first time posting. DH and I have 4 dogs, 2- 13 year old Lab mixes ( littermates), an 8 year old Beagle and a 2 year old Airdale mix. We live in the woods of WV and they have plenty of room to run and play. It's beautiful here.-Due to illness we will be moving overseas to my hometown in Germany ( insurance !!) and we will be taken the younger 2 dogs with us.-We will be staying with my girlfriend of 40 years until we find a place to live. -She is a cat lover and has devoted much of her life to cats. She has about 20 at home ! now-neither my friend or I know how to deal with the animals when we get there.! Does anybody here have lots of cats and dogs? How do they get along.? We have only one cat and she rules the dogs :) I know Beulah the beagle will be trying to eat all the catfood she sees and Cinco, the youngest, certainly will chase cats that "zoom" by, since it is in the nature of dogs to chase fast moving critters ! Does anyone know if there is a way to train him not to do that? I doubt he will hurt them, he problably will only be curious.
Any advice I can get before I'll get there will certainly help us handle the situation.
Thank
Elke

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd say that if the dogs are ok with cats it shouldn't be too much of a problem. since cats usually run and hide when they see a new animal they shouldn't be a threat to your dogs. but SOMETIMES there is a cat who is very territorial and VERY bold and will chase a dog ten times it's size through the house and that's were you may have accidents.

I live with four dogs and three cats and the cats and dogs get along fine

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am just curious, what do you have to do for quarantine? And what are you doing with the old dogs?

I have 2 dogs and a cat. One dog is fine with the cat, the other chases her (she just wants to play, the cat is not interested). It just depends on the individuals. Make sure the cats have somewhere that they can get away from the dogs.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
As craven said, it depends on the personalities of the cats and dogs, but if your dogs are used to a cat ruling the roost, then it shouldn't be much of an issue. Just keep both dogs under strict supervision at all times until they can be trusted with the cats.

That said, I think it would be wise to have a back up plan if the dogs are not okay with the dogs.

And like craven, I'm curious as to what is happening with the older dogs.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I have 10 housecats :D . I won't say the dogs and cats all get along beautifully, but they have an understanding. I would assume that your friend has worked out a living arrrangement with the cats that includes many cat-specific spaces. Ideally, these spaces should be able to be blocked off so the cats have have their personal space and the dogs can have theirs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no quarantine for Germany, we just had to have the health exams with the department of Agriculture. It's a bilingual form and they mostly worry about rabies vaccine etc. The dogs also have to be chipped with an international chip.-As far as the 2 old dogs-I was afraid someone would ask. Unfortunatley we will have to put them to sleep. This is probalby the hardest thing we had to do and I hope I don't get harrassed about it. Both of them have age related health problems-Bonnie, the female, has hip problems, which she is getting treated for. HEr brother Clyde has prostate problems and he is getting blind.We had the 2 since they were 3 months old, they were strays, but we would not have traded them for anything. We could have moved a year ago, but we did not, thinking they would die naturally of old age, but they are doing actually better than last year, yet my vet thinks they would not survive another hot summer here in WV.-I was diagnosed with a heart problem 18 months ago and we don't have insurance. I since got a pacemaker, but it has caused other problems. I urgently need medical care and cannot wait any further.I have lived here for 35 years, but I'm still a german citizen and qualify for national health insurance at 150.00 a months and I'll get the best care.- We had looked into taking the dogs with us, but our vet said that they would not survive the trip. They are also not used to other people, since we live very isolated, so it would not be any less stressful to find a different home for them. eusthanasia, no matter how terrible the thought is for us, is the best thing for our dogs. I dread the day:-(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a dog and a cat and when they were first introduced it was not good. I didn't think it was ever going to work! My dog was 1.5 years and my cat was only a couple months. The dog just wanted to play and was excited to run around and trample the poor thing while my cat just hissed and hid as best he could. The only thing that made them better was time. It didn't take long, because I think they both realized that they would just have to get along. They are fine with each other now and love to play. Sometimes a little too rough, but I think they are to the point where neither would hurt the other. It is possible for dogs and cats to get along it just takes time!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Can't you contact a lab rescue? There is a fantastic one in Cincinnati...

I am sorry about your medical condition and about having to leave your dogs. But i think you should check out a rescue. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'll refrain from blasting you, but I will say that I STRONGLY disagree with your choices regarding your elderly dogs.

They have been a part of your family for 13 years, I would think they would take precedence over the younger dogs. (I do realize that traveling with elderly dogs is risky, but I would rather risk it, than put them to sleep prematurely)

Thank you for your honesty though, and all the best with your move, and I wish you a healthy future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for all your replies. You certainly sound encouraging, perhaps it won't be impossible afterall. My friend has a room put aside for us, we would have to put some type of gate up. Don't know if the cats would climb over it :)
Cinco sometimes chases our cat, if she decides to suddenly "zoom" across the room like cats do, but he only sniffs her. He has learned that he gets wacked across his nose, if he gets too close. I'm hoping he'll remember that, once he encounters the other cats.
I'll keep you updated about Bonnie and Clyde. I probalby need some support when the the day comes.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I understand now and I agree with your decision. I know it will be crazy hard, we will be here to support you when the day comes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
snuggles-The labs are not in good shape, or I would take them also of course !-I'm not even getting permission to take them by our vets who have taken care of them all their life. In their opinion they would not survive the plane ride, due to their age and medical problems. According to the vets they most likely would also not survive surgery, they claim they would never wake up.
As I told several of you in a private message, Clyde is terrified without my husband . He refuses to eat or even get off the couch when he has to go somewhere. Even when I'm home. He follows my husband everywhere, even though lately he gets tired easier and comes in the house when my DH is working outside. But 15 minutes later he already cries to go back out. In and out...
He is also afraid of riding in the car, and when we had an emergency visit at the vets 6 months ago, his nose was bleeding very badly.His bloodpressure was so high due to stress. Perhaps a rescue would be appropiate in some cases, but with these dogs it is not a solution.-Bonnie has a hard time getting up and if she gets any worse, it would be inhumane to try to keep her alive.-
The decision we made was not a light one. We thought about it for 18 months . This is not about how my husband and I feel. This is about the dogs and their well being. It is much better to euthanize them by our vet in their home, in our arms, than to have them die a lonely death in the belly of the plane by themselves.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The decision we made was not a light one. We thought about it for 18 months . This is not about how my husband and I feel. This is about the dogs and their well being. It is much better to euthanize them by our vet in their home, in our arms, than to have them die a lonely death in the belly of the plane by themselves.
It sounds like you have really thought this through. You are right, it is better that they die with you peacefully than to die alone and possibly with strangers.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The cats will more than likely be able to jump over the gate, but that doesn't mean they are going to.
Usually if a cat is not interested in something they will do all things possible to try and avoid them.
We have 4 cats and 3 dogs, (used to be 4 and 4 though), and at times things get hectic, but the dogs have learned that the cats are the masters (some of the cats have claws that the dogs know can hurt them).
It might be a little frustrating at first but they'll get used to each other. Just make sure you don't ever leave them alone with each other.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I have 5 cats and one dog. When introducing the dog(s) to new cats ALWAYS let the cats do the approachinng. If the dogs might chase, keep them on a leash or behind a gate or crated until everyone gets used to one another. Do not allow the dog to chase the cat(s) ever.

When introducing dogs and cats the foremost idea is that prevention is 9/10ths of the cure.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sounds like you have made the right decision anyhow. Being thirteen and labs their life probably is not much longer either way. Good decision. When will this all take place? We are there for you. Put our thirteen year old dog to sleep three years ago and I think I felt worse then when some people die. (bad to say huh?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the further advise. I feel like I'm able to put together a very concrete plan, steps 1, 2 and 3 etc. if you know what I mean. My DH just said first thing he wants to do after we get there, is get a bike. Everybody rides a bike in the EU and the dogs would get good exercise running along. That would get rid of any pent-up energy, they might otherwise use harrassing the cats.
Snuggles-we don't know yet when we'll have the labs put to sleep. Probalby end of March or beginning of April. It also depends on my vet's schedule somewhat. He is the only one in his office and is 1 1/2 hour drive away.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Good luck on your move.

I would start out by slowly introducing the dogs can cats (20 can be over wehlming)

get rid of some of the extra energy. good luck
I'll refrain from blasting you, but I will say that I STRONGLY disagree with your choices regarding your elderly dogs.

They have been a part of your family for 13 years, I would think they would take precedence over the younger dogs. (I do realize that traveling with elderly dogs is risky, but I would rather risk it, than put them to sleep prematurely)

Thank you for your honesty though, and all the best with your move, and I wish you a healthy future.
The dogs are very old. are having lots of health issues.

You would rather maybe have your dog die inthe loud cold area of a plane all alone? then at home with family and familieer surrondings?

He gave his reason as to why this has to happen. health reasons for himself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts