Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I’m freaking out, my 12 week old goldendoodle puppy just swallowed the last little nub of a bully stick. The stick had about 1-2 inches left when he swallowed it and was soft. He is about 20 pounds and will be standard in size (trying to give you visual of his sizing). He had been chewing on it for some time but I’m still nervous. He’s breathing fine and laying down seeming normal but I can’t help but worry. I called the vet and they suggested to see if he starts vomiting and waiting it out... ugh I can’t believe he did that. Anyone else have similar stories? I feel so alone and like a bad puppy parent. ): help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
Yup. Our pup (not even 30 lbs now, so probably around your pup's size or smaller when this happened) swallowed a good 4-5 inches of bully stick once... which he immediately brought back up, haha. But seriously, he'll probably digest that nub just fine. Definitely keep an eye on him just in case, but it's pretty natural for dogs to swallow hunks of animal parts. The biggest concern I'd have is choking, and that danger is passed once it's in his stomach.

There are bully stick holders out there! I just used a bar clamp for Frodo's bully sticks for a while, and he's better at gnawing at them now, but it does make it easier to take that last little nub to throw away if it's attached to something the dog can't eat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. Our pup (not even 30 lbs now, so probably around your pup's size or smaller when this happened) swallowed a good 4-5 inches of bully stick once... which he immediately brought back up, haha. But seriously, he'll probably digest that nub just fine. Definitely keep an eye on him just in case, but it's pretty natural for dogs to swallow hunks of animal parts. The biggest concern I'd have is choking, and that danger is passed once it's in his stomach.

There are bully stick holders out there! I just used a bar clamp for Frodo's bully sticks for a while, and he's better at gnawing at them now, but it does make it easier to take that last little nub to throw away if it's attached to something the dog can't eat.
I needed to hear that! It probably happened about 45 minutes ago and he’s calming napping now. This is my first puppy on my own. (I’ve had family pets). I watched him chew on the stick and then one second later, boom gone.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
625 Posts
Relax. Sounds like the dog is fine.

My mini-schnauzer, 14 lb, is able to consume a whole chicken leg (drumstick) bone and all, no skin. The method of eating is a bit disgusting. He will crunch up the bone and pulverize the flesh. It doesn't come off in bites, its just a big mass of crushed bone and pulverized meat. During the process, it will be regurgitated several times as he crunches and pulverizes. Then the whole mass will be swallowed when all is crushed.

My point is that dogs are able to swallow large pieces of food without issue. A short chunk of bully stick likely won't be an issue. If it is, the dog will show signs of distress. Generally, the dog will vomit the piece. If he is calmly napping........

Next time, take the bully stick away before it becomes that small.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top