Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so harleyis 10 wks old now and he's been humping his toys a lot. He's tried humping me but I stop it separate him fromme and ignore him. He hasn't tried again but has been humping his toys pretty good. Well today he was humping his toy and he got a full erection as soon as the thing come out he started whining like he was in agony and he started licking it like crazy about 10minutes later it went back down Buthelezi still continued to whin after for a little bit.

I was soo scared for him I have never seen a puppy with an erection not this young and I never seen a dog have one as long as his was it was fully out and dragging on floor. I'm not sure if it actually hurt him or scared him its not bothering him now so mustn't of hurt or he'd stillbe favoring that area and licking it.

Is this normal does this happen?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
This is normal. This will stop in a few weeks, and then begin again when he's about 6 mos. You can train him to stop.
1. Remove most of the toys that he humps.
2. Teach him to Sit on cue.
3. Watch him and learn to recognize when he is thinking of humping... you may have a good 15 - 30 seconds.
4. When he starts looking at his toys with that "loving feeling" in his eyes, then tell him to Sit... repeat as needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I don't think I would of minded if he didn't freak out so bad. Like he acted like it hurt him though I think it only really scared him. Now his dog trainer I asked her a while back about his humping his toys and she said let him because if he's dominating them than he's not trying to dominate u or your kids. He didn't start humping his kids till after the first time he tried humping me he didn't like going on time out so he turned to his toys and acts like I'm his boss now. He's a very very good puppy learns very very fast except pooping on my floor.

Saying this I will try what I suggested about taking the toy away and making him sit instead of hump.

Thank you again

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Humping isn't always dominating. It can merely be a reaction to being excited, especially in a dog that hasn't learned proper canine behavior. Puppies are like small children, they try on lots of behaviors. Small children pretend to be firemen and teachers, puppies try humping. Just train him out of it now, because once that settles in as the go to behavior for dealing with excitement, it's very difficult to deal with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts