Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Needing some advice for my Ranger.

We adopted him a little less than a month ago, and things have been great! One thing I have noticed is he seems to get upset stomach a lot. He definitely gets car sick on rides longer than about 25 minutes, he gets that look on his face and his lips sag and he starts drooling. He's not a drooly dog in general, so I think it's nausea.

He also gets the hiccups, quite a bit. After eating or if he's been excited (running around at the dog park, for example), he will have these short bouts of hiccups. They don't last long, but he gets them just about every day.

He also has these "mopey" times of the day. Sometimes right after he has eaten or a hiccup bout, but also when we come home from a long walk or a play session at the dog park. He just looks really miserable and he doesn't want to interact with us much. He lies down and sighs but it's not like he's sleepy... It's like he feels sick. He will even gag or throw up water sometimes. He has only thrown up his food twice (once in the car, and once after his supper when he ate too fast). We started splitting his two daily meals to be half in water (since he doesn't drink a lot on his own) and half in the Kong to slow him down.

Otherwise, he's pretty normal. He's quite mellow for a 10 month old puppy, but he's been to the vet for an exam and vet said he's healthy. I called my vet about these nausea symptoms and he said it's pretty normal... But I don't know, it happens every day, so I don't feel like that's normal. Can anyone give me any ideas what might be going on and how I can help him to feel better?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sam had puppy hiccups fairly frequently (grew out of them) and still has trouble in the car, though he's better than he was (many puppies grow out of this, my boy is just sensitive). Excessive drooling definitely is a sign of carsickness, in my experience! Those don't particularly worry me, but persistent queasiness would.

Given the vet says he's otherwise healthy, I'd consider feeding him three or four smaller meals and see if that helps. Puppies in particular sometimes have trouble on larger meals, and long breaks between meals can cause empty stomach nausea, or "hunger pukes", often characterized by the dog bringing up yellow bile. What are you feeding now?

I'd also suggest trying to videotape him when he's looking ill or gagging, so the vet can observe the behavior himself if it persists.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My dog had the same issue around the same age. She grew out of it. Can't tell you what it was though... but lots of bile for a few weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts