Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum! First time posting on here and I'm hoping to get some good responses! In a nut shell, I'm trying to decide what dog breed would be best the fit for myself. I've been contemplating this for about 3 years now and I am now in a good position to make this life change happen!
What I'm looking for now is a companion dog. A dog who I would love to take for long walks at the local park, take to family gatherings, friends' houses, short runs, the occasional hike, to the beach, short road trips, etc. It would be nice that whereever I go the dog would come too. So friendly and active would be huge deciding factors. Now, I do work 40 hours per week and I'd consider myself a social person, meaning there will be days where I go out with friends or family during the week to places I may not be able to take the dog for an additional 2-5 hours. A somewhat independent dog that would be ok being alone for this time would be good too. Now I live fairly close to my parents and other dog friendly friends, so if there was ever a weekend getaway or I knew I would be out of the house for an entire day or two, it would be easy to drop the dog with them for that time. I do live in an apartment, but there is a park within walking distance.
So I've already done some research into what breeds would be best. Originally I was looking into the Shiba Inus. They've become extremely popular in recent years and they originally seemed like a good fit. Adaptable to apartment life, active, and independent. Now I have heard some horror stories about their tendency to suffer from epilepsy, be unfriendly to strangers and owners, some breeders charge insane prices, and their wanderlust potential. Is this in fact most people's experience?
Since then, I had met my friends Norwegian elkhound. This dog seems to be a great match. Extremely friendly and active dog and very personable with strangers. They're not huge dogs so they seem to do ok in apartments (my friend currently lives in an apartment with 2 roomates). The only thing is that I heard they have a barking potential (which may not be good in my current living situation), also I was at my friends place at the beginning of the summer and there was hair literally everywhere! Now I don't think I'd have a huge problem with shedding, but I also would prefer to not be enfulfed in hair all the time. I think I've taken Labradors and golden retrievers off the list (I know they are great companion dogs) but things they might be too big for apartment living (also every lab I've ever met is waaaaay to crazy I think for me to handle). So to summarize: active, friendly, somewhat independent, low shedding, apartment adaptable, and healthy companion.

Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
An American Eskimo, they are EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT, friendly (they were bred to be companion animals), they do have a fluffy coat, but I brush mine twice a weeks and otherwise dont have much of a problem with his fur, (they may out at 30lbs so that may be why)

They love walks, family, and socialization, dont have very common health issues, and are good for apartments.

They are great with children and respond well to training because they are not a working dog and they do aim to please.

Mine goes Everywhere with me, he is not neutered and still an ideal citizen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts