Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our dog just show up on our front porch. He is a great dog but very hyper. Pretty much all he lives for is his tennis ball. :confused: He is definately not leash acquainted but we are working on it. He also would rather sleep outside in the rain than get in his dog house. Zip seems very smart when he wants to be. Is there anyting that we can do about this.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Not sure which problem you want to deal with, but...

He's very hyper - Make sure to get him plenty of exercise. Running.
Not leash acquainted - Take it slow. Hang the leash on him in the house and let him drag it around. Lots of praise.
Sleeping in the rain - I take it he's an "outside dog"? Make sure he likes his doghouse. Put some warm blankets or straw in there. Feed him yummy treats in there.

Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
11,808 Posts
Get yourself a Chuckit ball launcher.

I have a ball-obsessive Plott hound and the Chuckit has saved my arm and my sanity.

You're lucky, actually. People frequently post questions like, "How can I get my dog to fetch?" Assuming he actually brings the ball back, you can exercise your dog from a lawn chair with a beer in one hand (not that I would ever do such a thing, and assuming you are of legal age.)

If you saw our lawn, you might think, "Those are the biggest dandelions I've ever seen!" but they are tennis balls. There are easily 6-dozen scattered around the yard.

BTW, the other three dogs that are out there get their exercise by chasing Esther while she's chasing the ball.

I don't know what to tell you about the doghouse. I've never had a full-time outdoor dog, though I've had dogs that seemed oblivious to rain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts