Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, hello everyone. Im 20 years old student from Bosnia, and reason why I came here is beacause I need help. I adopted huskycollie few weeks ago, and she is 7 months, now almost 8months old. I have some issues with her, like she isnt playful at all, she was on training camp and she knows basics, like sit, lay, and that stuff. I even bought clicker to try to train her to give me her paw, but guess what, she isnt interested in it at all. When I click, she knows she will get reward, and I tryed to say paw, paw, trying to pick her paw up and saying good, yes, reward, but she will not do it by herself. And thats not all, she is so bored, all she does is sleep all day, and when I go out with her she barely run, she dont want that at all, and minute I came home, she is somewhere lying and resting, from...rest, i guess. She can, i dont know how to say cuddle with dog, so no one will get me wrong, but that lasts for short period of time, and then she is up and she is going few meters away just to go away from me. And in last days, she doesnt even eat a lot, and in the morning, around 5-6, she is whining and barking on balcony doors, because she doesnt want to be alone, thats my guess. I dont know what to do, so please help me. I put this in here, and I think i didnt brake some rules around here, but if I did, please warn me, and tell me where to write this post again. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I say she's in need of a vet visit to make sure she doesn't have an illness. Lethargic(sleepy) all the time and below average appetite suggests that she may have something going on with her worth checking out.

After you get her checked out and the vet says she's 100% I'd say give it time. I got my girl when she was 3-4 months old. She didn't play with me and it was impossible to get her up and moving around. She slept all the time. Being a growing puppy is "hard" on them. That being said when she reached 8-9 months she was more willing to play with me and her activity levels drastically increased. Though, given you've just adopted her she may still be in a transition phase. Maybe she's went through a couple owners before you and she's not 100% relaxed in her environment. It's not unusual for a dog to be shut down in these circumstances. You haven't had her for too long.

My advice is to firstly take her to the vet to rule out any medical problems with her. Then if you're all clear, take your time with her. Be patient, reward her for going on walks with you. Make time to try and teach her how to interact with certain toys. Food toys might motivate her to take an interest in something. Like a Kong ball easily stuffed with treats so she gets rewarded for playing with it, you can make the treats increasingly more difficult to remove when she gets the hang of it. Try a bunch of different games Fetch, Chase, Flirt pole, Tug, Squeaky toys, hide and seek. See what she enjoys. She may not play like the typical dog. When she gets out of this phase and settles in you may look back on these lazy days and miss them haha!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank aou very much, but she isnt even notice the ball when I throw it. She doesnt want to pul, or play tug. She likes to chew something like toiletpaper, plastic bag, even her wooden house. i guess she just need time, but its in my house over 10 days, and maybe it was little shocking for her because she left her old owners, and went to my house, and couple days later went in training school, and now she is back. I will wait, but if she keeps with this whining and barking in 5am I will have to give her to someone whi ownes the house, because my neighboards dont want to hear anything about 'bored dog'

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Thank aou very much, but she isnt even notice the ball when I throw it. She doesnt want to pul, or play tug. She likes to chew something like toiletpaper, plastic bag, even her wooden house. i guess she just need time, but its in my house over 10 days, and maybe it was little shocking for her because she left her old owners, and went to my house, and couple days later went in training school, and now she is back. I will wait, but if she keeps with this whining and barking in 5am I will have to give her to someone whi ownes the house, because my neighboards dont want to hear anything about 'bored dog'
I will echo what kdawnk said - take her to the vet. Outside of a physical issue, give her a few months to adjust to her new home.

It sounds like you're being very impatient with her and you have very unrealistic expectations about how quickly a dog will adjust to a new environment. Dogs aren't born knowing how to play. She's probably sitting around wondering why the heck you keep throwing things, grabbing her feet and making weird clicking noises at her.

ETA: She probably avoids you and wants her space because you keep asking her to do things she doesn't understand. It sounds like she feels uncomfortable around you. Instead of focusing so heavily on training, focus on making her enjoy your company. Keep calm, give her treats when she's near you and just allow her to relax for a few weeks before you try to pound all of this "newness" and training into her head.

Do you lock her on the balcony at night? Is that why you think she's whining/barking? Because she doesn't want to be locked alone outside?

I'll be honest - it doesn't sound like you have a ton of experience with dogs, and a BC/Husky mix is probably going to be a rough go for an inexperienced dog owner. Both Huskies and BCs are vocal dogs. If you want your dog to be quiet and not upset your neighbors, you should probably have done some research and chosen a different mix of breeds.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I would still take her to the vet just to get the OK if you haven't already. You haven't mentioned whether you did or not yet.

I think if she likes to chew on stuff you should go down that route. Buy her a Kong Ball it's a toy that you can stuff with treats and other goodies that is meant to keep them mentally occupied. Buy her Nylabones, got to a pet store and buy her Bully Sticks, and a few other toys that are durable and meant for a strong chewer. You don't want her chewing on the bad things you mentioned. There's even dog-safe wooden chew toys you can find at the Pet stores. Go there and ask about them.

What are you doing as far as exercise goes every day? Just because you can't play with her doesn't mean you can't do things with her. Take her for walks, see how she is with other dogs and maybe have play dates, go for short hikes.

Where is she when she's barking and whining at 5am? She is still young and may need to go out for a bathroom break early in the morning like that. Or you may need to get up earlier and take her for a walk. I get up at 5:30am every morning with my dog to walk/bike/hike her in the morning before work. Or if you're leaving her in a room that's not your own she may wake up and panic about being alone, you may be able to solve this by crating her in your room, or having her loose in your room at night. You don't know exactly how she was treated at training school so there could be some significant adjustments coming back to live with you.

As for your dog not having interest in anything. When mine was young, this was about as eventful as our fetch games got.
https://instagram.com/p/m71AjvSzpv/
But then I found the only game she actually enjoyed. The Flirt Pole I mentioned before.
https://instagram.com/p/okC6UmSztG/

You have to experiment sometimes and there's always going to be something to work on with dogs especially in the beginning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I saved her from being droped on the street, and I dont want to give her that easy to anyone. She was quite in first 3-4 days, but after that she changed that, and started whining. I love her, and she is nice dog who wont bite, or do things like that, she is not aggressive at all. But you are right, this is my first dog, and I do know a little about them too, not that mich little, i have her trainer and he is giving me advices regulary, but he is old-fashioned trainer, who does things on dominance, and punishment. Its little hard for me to do that, and stay cool, so she even felt that amd tryed to bite me couple of times, but after that she is lovley, trying to get my love again. Still, she was at vet station, and he said that she was fine, but after all, Ill take her again next week when my vet comes home, for better and second opinion. Thanks anyway guys, and I will do my best to make her interesting in playing or running with me.

Only one more thing, ismit possible for border collie and husky mix to live in apartmenr, not on balcony? She does shed a lot, bit i will vacuum everyday, and take care of her, take baths and all. But is it better for her on balcony, or inside? Or even if I make windows on my balcony making it as a room, just for her?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Well, I saved her from being droped on the street, and I dont want to give her that easy to anyone. She was quite in first 3-4 days, but after that she changed that, and started whining. I love her, and she is nice dog who wont bite, or do things like that, she is not aggressive at all. But you are right, this is my first dog, and I do know a little about them too, not that mich little, i have her trainer and he is giving me advices regulary, but he is old-fashioned trainer, who does things on dominance, and punishment. Its little hard for me to do that, and stay cool, so she even felt that amd tryed to bite me couple of times, but after that she is lovley, trying to get my love again. Still, she was at vet station, and he said that she was fine, but after all, Ill take her again next week when my vet comes home, for better and second opinion. Thanks anyway guys, and I will do my best to make her interesting in playing or running with me.

Only one more thing, ismit possible for border collie and husky mix to live in apartmenr, not on balcony? She does shed a lot, bit i will vacuum everyday, and take care of her, take baths and all. But is it better for her on balcony, or inside? Or even if I make windows on my balcony making it as a room, just for her?
Definitely inside if she's bothering your neighbours. Most people on this site have dogs indoors regardless of breed or size. We're pretty pro-having your dog live with you as a member of your family. I'd say drop your old trainer, the dominance and punishment methods are outdated and damaging to your dog. As well as damaging to your relationship with her.
Look up videos by Zak George or Kikopup on youtube. They have a POSITIVE, no punishment, only rewards, based training style and a video on almost any problem you will encounter with your dog.

It's good you want to work with her, but you do need to be patient and work on finding a way to teach the dog what you WANT her to do rather than discouraging what you don't. She doesn't want to misbehave, she just doesn't understand.

Edit to add: A balcony is a significantly smaller place than an entire apartment. If she is doing damage to household things - which she might - invest in a crate/cage to put her in during the day or when you cannot look after her. Even an exercise pen set up in an area that she cannot damage things may work. Huskies and Border Collies as a general rule, are very active and very busy/smart dogs. You need to find an outlet for that energy if she's not getting it through play or exercise she may find more inappropriate ways to channel her energy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I take her fora walk in 6am, to get her business, but from tomorrow I will go for running and that thing you mentioned. I have problems onstreets, and those are dogs that are, i dont have the word, but no-owner dogs, who are a little bit aggressive. I will try to find thise toys, problem is I live in Bosnia, and my shops arent really god, and my accounts arent very filled with money, but I give as much as I can to get her all she needs, and she will bet everything just so I can see her happy. Im afraid of puting her in my apartment when I leave the house, because I think she will chew something, like my furniture. And, im not happy to see that, and give more money on new things.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

Okay. Whew. Where to start?

1. Ditch the trainer who is telling you to dominate and punish your dog. Ignore everything they tell you. Notice how your dog was okay the first 3-4 days and then the trainer got involved and suddenly she started being afraid of you and not wanting to be near you? There's a reason for that.

It seems like your dog is softer and likely to be negatively effected by harsh training methods. Use positive reinforcement and not any negative. Reward her when she does things you want. Teach her that you're not a scary person who is going to punish her for things she doesn't understand.

2. I advise that you keep your dog inside and in a "safe" room or a crate while you're away. There's no reason she can't be indoors. I assume she's potty trained, since you mentioned nothing about her eliminating inside.

3. Do some general research and reading about dog training, since your methods don't seem to be working for her. There are plenty of great resources on this forum for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She isnt potty trainer, but I get her out 3 times a day, so sometimes she piss on my balcony,sometimes she poops, but I will try to teach her when, and where to do her business. Any advice?

Okay,thanks onepce more. I needed this, because in my house started talk about getting rid of her, by giving her to someone else. And, after all she is my first dog, and I dont want to give up that easly. I will do my best, and spend more time with her trying to teach her tricks and other stuff. Thanks all of you, I will report my progress.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
She isnt potty trainer, but I get her out 3 times a day, so sometimes she piss on my balcony,sometimes she poops, but I will try to teach her when, and where to do her business. Any advice?

Okay,thanks onepce more. I needed this, because in my house started talk about getting rid of her, by giving her to someone else. And, after all she is my first dog, and I dont want to give up that easly. I will do my best, and spend more time with her trying to teach her tricks and other stuff. Thanks all of you, I will report my progress.
For the potty training, you'll need to take her out more than 3 times a day. At 7 months old, she'll probably need to go out once every 3 hours to start, and then you can lengthen that time. When she goes outside where you want, give her treats and big time praise, so she understands that going outside is a good thing. When she goes inside, just take her outside, wait to see if she needs to go again, and then clean it up. Don't yell at her for going inside - she'll only learn that peeing in front of YOU is a bad thing, not that going inside is a bad thing.

I look forward to hearing about your progress, and remember to take it easy on the harder training until she gets comfortable with you again. In the mean time, just spend time relaxing in her company so she learns that you're a source of calmness and relaxation. When she's comfortable around you, she will probably respond to your training attempts more positively.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man, you helped me a lot. We just came from night walk, and now she is resting just beside me on the floor. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts