Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Chihuahua Mix (Batman)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hows it going from California!
i have a puppy and he is about 12 weeks old to my understanding. He hasnt received any of his shots yet and i dont know if i need to start with his 8 week shots or does he jump to the 12 week shot. i was trying to set up an appointment for his vaccinations but theyre booked all the way up to march so i was just going to buy the shots and give him the shots myself but i dont know where to start please help

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,033 Posts
Can you use a different vet?

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
While some people do buy and administer some of their own vaccines, know that you have way less control over how those vaccines were stored and transported (and thus how effective they still are) than a vet does. They also don't always count for legal purposes, so if you need to prove your dog was vaccinated to, for example, a training or boarding facility they may or may not accept them. Rabies vaccines can only be done by vets for this reason, if I recall correctly (it's been a few years since I've lived in the US). I personally wouldn't be comfortable trusting myself (and the supply stores) with the most important puppy vaccines against high-risk, deadly illnesses like parvo and distemper, though of course other people may feel differently.

Have you called around to other vets, pet stores, and shelters/rescues in your area? Pet stores sometimes run vaccine clinics, and shelters/rescues may know of resources in your area that can get them done in a more timely fashion.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Tractor Supply locations run vaccine clinics at low cost, and many Petco stores have clinics onsite for vaccinations and basic vet care. Both might be worth a try, and neither charge a fee for the visit I believe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts