Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. (I copied this from my post in the new user section) I am a new user. I have a coon hound that just had a mast cell tumor surgically removed kinda by the base of the tail area.

He got out of surgery today and he is whimpering and wont sleep (he actually just laid down *fingers crossed*).

I am sad because he will only stop whimpering when I pet him or rub his chest . I hope he will fall asleep soon because its hard for me to listen to him :sad: . He is wearing a cone around his head and it isn't too tight.

The DR gave me RIMADYL. If he doesn't stop whimpering by tomorrow should I call the DR? Thanks.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Anesthetic makes you feel weird, so he was probably feeling really dopey last night. Hopefully by now he's recovered to the point where he doesn't feel as disoriented.

Rimadyl is sort of like Advil for humans---it helps, but it may not be strong enough for post-op pain. If the Rimadyl doesn't help enough, ask the vet for something stronger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anesthetic makes you feel weird, so he was probably feeling really dopey last night. Hopefully by now he's recovered to the point where he doesn't feel as disoriented.

Rimadyl is sort of like Advil for humans---it helps, but it may not be strong enough for post-op pain. If the Rimadyl doesn't help enough, ask the vet for something stronger.
Yes he was acting kinda "dopey" last night and early this morning. I called the DR this morning and the DR gave me a prescription for TRAMADOL. I can give him 2 pills every 12 hours for pain. I gave him 2 pills a few hours ago and he is doing MUCH BETTER! He is sound asleep and doing well. He ate all his food this morning and I check on him every few minuets and he is breathing well and sleeping soundly. He looks a lot better too and has stopped whimpering. Thank God for medicine. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the biopsy, the vet said it was a "low end stage 2" type of mast cell tumor. Anyone have any experience in dealing with this type of cancer in their dog? I am going to set up an appt with a doctor to figure out my options.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
You'll have to talk to your Vet and possibly followup with some on the online medical info, but I believe that mast cell tumors can be 'cured' in some cases. The Vet will have to tell you about the margins and possible treatment protocols, but it sounds promising to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll have to talk to your Vet and possibly followup with some on the online medical info, but I believe that mast cell tumors can be 'cured' in some cases. The Vet will have to tell you about the margins and possible treatment protocols, but it sounds promising to me.
I went to an appt with the Vet and his body was scanned and he is free of tumors. I have another appt. next week for some kind of "electro chemo therapy" to treat around the local area of his tumor (that was removed). The Dr. said he will probably need 4 treatments and he should be completely healthy after that. After his final treatment he will have a follow up every 3 months. So it looks like he is going to be just fine. I am thankful. I will post updates. Thanks for your replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts