Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
The reason I joined the forum was to seek advice for raising Rosie the best way possible. I will be hiking in the Rockies in two weeks time and and curious if my 6 month old nova scotia duck toller puppy would need a coat and booties for the snow. Does anything have any opinions or thoughts on this subject?
Thank you!

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Hello,
The reason I joined the forum was to seek advice for raising Rosie the best way possible. I will be hiking in the Rockies in two weeks time and and curious if my 6 month old nova scotia duck toller puppy would need a coat and booties for the snow. Does anything have any opinions or thoughts on this subject?
Thank you!
How long (time and distance) do you plan for the hikes to be? What is the air temperature expected to be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
temp during the day is predicted to be around -5 C and walks ranging from 2-4 hours daily. These walks aren't strenuous hikes up a mountain really they are walks to beautiful historical sites through the Rockies.
Thank you!

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
temp during the day is predicted to be around -5 C and walks ranging from 2-4 hours daily. These walks aren't strenuous hikes up a mountain really they are walks to beautiful historical sites through the Rockies.
Thank you!
-5 C or mid 20s F is probably fine without a coat and booties (although, if you have those items, taking them along just in case would be a good idea). Usually it is the road salt that hits dogs paws hard when walking in cities or if there is ice on the ground that cuts up paws. If it is really windy, a light coat might be appreciated.

However, that's a lot of hiking for a 6 month old dog. I'd be worried about over-doing it and stressing her growing joints. 1-2 hours at a mild walking pace likely fine, 3-4 hours up and down hills would be a lot. How much distance (rather than time) are you planning to cover?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also was thinking of bringing some "paw butter" or musher's secret for her pays to help it not collect snow clumps.
As for the hiking/walking, I wasn't thinking of doing anything major, more along the lines of sight seeing and doing over night photography and walking to cool lakes and just exploring what the Rockies have to offer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts