Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 3 month old Maltipoo. My vet has recommended she not be outside too much until she has her full shots (another week), so I have not begun taking her for walks and am attending "puppy training" classes at Petsmart. I'm having trouble with her playing on, sleeping on, and tearing up and eating her pee pads. I have one of those "Puppy Apartments" crates with sleeping area on one side with opening to the other "bathroom" side. I purchased a holder to keep the pad in place, but she still manages to either tear it from the center, or sit on it after peeing. If I say "get in your bed" she's learned to do that, but never stays there. I thought the "apartment" idea would be good for days when there is horrible weather, a blizzard, pouring rain, etc. when I don't want to go out either. I do plan on training her to go outside and just have this as an alternative. My other issue is I already had a 9 month old cat who basically ignores her but being a puppy, when she sees him gets all excited and wants to play. I've let them have supervised "together time" for short periods which inevitably ends up with the cat trying to scratch her because of her over exuberance. Any advice on either of these things would be appreciated!

·
Registered
363 Posts
My puppy is 8 months old. I too started with the pee pads but gave up after two weeks. Mine would shred them in a zillion pieces. I also did not care for the smell in the house. So I totally bagged the pee pads and have only trained her to go outside. It is a pain when it is snowing or raining but I would much rather go out then have the stench in the house. Never had a cat so can't offer any advice in that department. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, NadiaK. I'm also about to give up on the pads, just trying to hold out till the 30th when she sees the vet and has her shots completed.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Am I reading this right that you are not taking her out for walks, etc., but you ARE taking her to Petsmart puppy classes? Anywhere where there is a lot of dog activity is not a good idea until after the puppy has had her complete shots, which is why your vet recommended not taking her out. Keep in mind that getting her shots does not make her instantly immune either, it takes some time for it to be fully effective.

Does she only tear up the pads when you aren't home?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I reading this right that you are not taking her out for walks, etc., but you ARE taking her to Petsmart puppy classes? Anywhere where there is a lot of dog activity is not a good idea until after the puppy has had her complete shots, which is why your vet recommended not taking her out. Keep in mind that getting her shots does not make her instantly immune either, it takes some time for it to be fully effective.

Does she only tear up the pads when you aren't home?
The vet gave her a kennel cough vaccine for the puppy classes. There are only 3 other puppies, all on leash, and no she will tear them up whether I'm here or not. I think that's more of a threat to her health since she will eat them. I'm here most of the time so can watch....just going through lots of pads.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
When you're home I would suggest taking the pads out of the crated and putting her on a bathroom schedule. Every 10-15 minutes take her over to the pad (set up in a different area) and see if she will go. Take her there after eating, drinking, or playing, since those are times when puppies have to pee. If she can hold it longer, increase the intervals. If she's having accidents, take her there more often.

There is a sticky on this forum regarding housebreaking. It's worth a read.

Honestly I found that using puppy pads set back the potty training. Puppies have to figure out how to use the pads, then they have to figure out how to stop using the pads and go outside. It takes longer. Personally I would just ditch the pads and take her outside on a schedule. Since you're already taking her to puppy class where lots of other dogs have been, it won't really matter (only 3 dogs in the class sure, but how many have been in the area).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts