Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Siberian husky and a husky mix of my own, foster dogs for Texas Sled Dog Rescue and have had dogs all my life. I'm caring for my nephew-in-laws family dog while they go through some tough times. It's a mixed bully breed & hound with a terribly oily coat and a LOUD baying bark.
I have a few issues I'm out of my depth with and need help.
When Chet (the dad & owner) was staying with us, he didn't seem to notice the stink Toby (his dog) gave off even though he's an inside dog.
When my husband and I complained he did wash him in the yard with a shampoo and the hose, weekly but about 5 days later he stinks again. This dog only goes out long enough to potty and then right back in. I threw out his dog bed, and bought an identical one to replace it, then a better one I could wash the cover to, switched him to the premium dog food I feed my huskies, take him to a professional groomer who expresses his glands (something Chet had Never done) once a week, took him to my vet who checked him over, ran some tests and everything is normal. When I say this dog smells like Ass I'm being polite. We can't even pet him without washing our hands afterwords. He's also a sneaky little guy in that he gets up on my chair and a half when we are sleeping or not home and has ruined pillows, caused said chair to have to be professionally cleaned and now covered with a throw full time. He absolutely knows he's not supposed to be up on it and won't go near it when we are watching him, jumps down and runs to his bed across the room when I get up in the morning. He had never been crated prior to coming here and when crated alone, screams his head off so loud my next door neighbor can hear him from the street. I tried a bark collar but they all shut off after a few hours and somehow he knows and so starts as soon as as its off. I had crated both my huskies together in a huge crate when I'm at work and have taken to putting him with one of them who must be "correcting" him as he shrinks into a corner and has to be forced in but at least he no longer sounds like he's being skinned alive inside my house. Crating him at bedtime to keep him off the chair is just not an option as he screams all night unless I lock up one of my dogs with him. Between washing the covers to all 5 dog beds And the chair throw every week, he laundry alone is wearing me out, and the grooming is breaking the bank. ($50 per week) please help.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Is it possible your nephew in laws family could consider rehomeing him?? you have done everything within your means for the dog,,, and its not working for your time and environment... I would never lock two dogs in a crate where another dog is correcting the other which causes a emotional harm to the dog that is in your care.. It's not helping this dog long term... as far as the stink, you've run all the test with vet assistance and have changed the dogs food not sure for how long you have been working on this for changes to take place for the dog if this is a situation of the dogs health. If your new food even higher grade still contains ingredients grain, certain proteins that is affecting the dog that would be the next thing to consider...probiotics and digestive enzymes would also be a consideration. does sound like your at your wits ends,,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts