Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to All. I just found this sight tonight. I may be doing this wrong. So any advice as to, how to navigate the site and what area to post in would be very much appreciated. My first question I'm interested in asking. Is about the loss of a dog through euthanasia and of dealing with it. Making sure if I did the right thing. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Dog. A Maltese Her name was Daisy and she was 14 years old. She was on 4 or 5 pill medications. 1-2 liquid medications. For the past year or more she had been having coughing breathing issues. That was due to a collapsed trachea. The heart had grown so much it was pushing against the trachea. She did well with medication, coughing occasionally. Over time we took her for visits and I think the heart grew more. They also said she had a tumor. But because of age and health issues, best not to do anything. Recently over past weeks more breathing issues occurred. She would sit and put head at an angle while breathing. Then this past Friday or Saturday she fell down from standing on ground and made a screeching noise in a puddle of pee. Over previous weeks she had couple screaming episodes while pooping. But after Fridaypr Sat she was very different. With glazed look in eyes, hearing didn't seem good and heavy / labored breathing. Overall a very disinterested dog. But during this whole time she would eat her dinner, drink water and use puppy pads or go outside. She didn't eat puperoni as much though. Last night I gave her dinner and she came to eat after finishing her coughing and breathing issues. Then this mornin I woke up and she was in kitchen all by herself just sitting there breathing and panting very heavy. So I brought her in my room and she did this couple Hrs. She slowly walked outside to go to the restroom. But stayed there afterwards. I went to look and tonghue was white and gums didn't look good. We took her to vet and he said there was fluid in lungs and he could only hear small area that was getting air. He said they could try something but it we be 50/50 would work. So we decided to give her some peace. She was always a fighter. But I'm struggling. Very sad that we let her go. Questioning my decision.She ate dinner the night before and night before that and continued to pee outside and on puppy pads Even after falling screaming incident. Pleas give me your thoughts. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've seen friends with dogs with deteriorating quality of life also having great difficulty making this decision. Ultimately, I think the owner will know when it's time, like you did. Obviously her quality of life was really starting to suffer and it's clear that it's a choice you made in compassion towards her. I think you made a sensible and compassionate decision on her behalf.

I would encourage you to try not to dwell on your feelings of regret or guilt over this and focus on the lovely time she spent with you. You might find it helpful to focus your feelings into something positive, such as making a little scrapbook of old photos of her or going to local shelter to volunteer in your free time with dogs or other animals that would love the attention!

All the best to you. I just adopted a stray who appears to be part maltese, so I'd love to see photos of Daisy if you have any to post!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
It sounds like you made the correct choice, from what you describe of her worsening condition.

Don't beat yourself up or second guess your decision, but make sure you allow yourself to grieve for her. Just like you took care of Daisy while she was sick, you should take care of yourself through this period of time. Be comforted that Daisy is no longer in discomfort and that you did everything you could to ensure she had a long and wonderful life.

Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You Amy for your reply. Yes volunteering at a dog shelter is something, I've considered in the past. May do that. Sounds interesting to do a scrapbook. My Mother is keeping ashes. I kept a collar from her, might do something with photos with it included. I have to admit it's been hard today. Hearing sounds that remind me of her, fining puppy pads, beds and toys. But I need to not let it keep me down. But I surely do miss her though. I added a few pics on my profile or in the photo section of message board. Thanks again for your comments. Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much sunak for your comments. They have helped me to feel reassured. I do still have sadness, but hopefully I come to terms with the decision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Hiraeth for your comments. They have helped out so much. I like how you mention I need to take care of myself. That's something I need to focus on to get past the sadness. I hope in the next few days I can do that. Thank You again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to Thank You all as a group as well. For the reassuring comments. I think the quickness and suddenness of the events Tuesday really got to me. I had some tough times yesterday and today with tears of sadness. Feeling guilt for not giving her the best of diet, but at times. Hearing sounds, seeing toys, beds and puppy pads. But hopefully I will feel better in the day, and weeks ahead. Thanks again. Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts