Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

His name is Buckley and he is a Great or Giant Alaskan Malamute! I just adopted him from a man that rescues arctic dogs. He is 2.5 years old and very mellow, like the typical Malamute. He is shedding like crazy!

As you can see, he still needs about 20lbs on his bones. His body looks like an old dog's body... :( Does anyone have some advice on how to beef him back up? I feed Taste of the Wild. The bag says he should get 5 cups a day, but I'm giving him 6 cups.. Should I be giving him even more? I tried giving him some raw eggs but he didn't eat it.

His shoulders are as tall as the table! I JUST got him last night so he hasn't been to the vet for a general checkup, so I don't know exactly how much he weighs or his exact height. I'm making an appointment next week for that and his neutering.

I have tons of experience with dogs in general, and I used to have a friend who had a Malamute, so I am familiar with the breed. But does anyone more experienced with this breed have any advice for me?

·
Registered
211 Posts
He's a pretty dog but he does look on the thin side.

Our neighbor where we used to live had one. He was a very sweet dog and wasn't aggressive at all to small dogs and cats. Sadly, he was neglected and often allowed to roam about the neighborhood unsupervised. Based on what I've seen about the breed, they crave human attention and are unhappy dogs when they don't get it.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Obviously you'll trust what your vet says about his weight, but IMO he doesn't look too thin to me based on the photos you've posted. I wouldn't be in a hurry to fatten him up. That can happen over time as he adjusts to a new home and routine. And a whole cup more sounds like a big increase - that's a 20% increase.

We've been trying to get 5 lbs off our husky/shepherd/malamute mix for a while and it is not easy! I would rather she was on the thinner end of the scale, like she used to be when she was younger and a lot more hyper.

In any case, welcome to DF! You have a beautiful pup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Buckley is beautiful! :D
I think you're feeding him the right amount of food, just give it time to fatten him up. Maybe give him lots of treats during training, and perhaps a afternoon snack? I some times give my dog boiled sweet potatoes, or bananas, or just a spoon full of peanut butter! She loves it, as any dog probably would. :)
Also, try boiling the egg. That works a lot better than raw... unless you're trying to raw feed him, then go right ahead! Enjoy your new company! <3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies! I know it's hard to tell in the picture, especially because of all his fur, but I am concerned about his weight. I can feel his hip bones and spine. Is that from lack of weight or another problem? He doesn't act like he is in any pain.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! I know it's hard to tell in the picture, especially because of all his fur, but I am concerned about his weight. I can feel his hip bones and spine. Is that from lack of weight or another problem? He doesn't act like he is in any pain.
Probably lack of weight, and I agree that if you account for fur he does look like he could use some groceries.

Remember though, when it comes to body condition (in the future and as you're ooking for a spot to STOP helping him gain weight) that you should be able to easily feel his ribs without digging around, and he should have a 'tuck up'/waist.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I think he could stand to gain a bit, but as others have said, don't overdo it. I probably wouldn't increase his food too much right away, until you see whether he gains just because he's eating a good quality food and settling in. Who knows what his situation was like before. It's much easier to slowly increase portion sizes than it is to take the weight off again if you go over board. :) The amount on the bag is probably just right for him, because they're generally pretty overstated already. When my dog was on Taste of the Wild she ate less than the recommended amount and maintained a perfect weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know you are supposed to feel the ribs, but not this much! LOL! My other dog is in absolute perfect shape, so I know what to aim for with Buckley!

And OK, I got the highest protein content formula I could find, so maybe it is a good idea to follow the guidelines! I wish there was a way to weigh him before his vet checkup....

Oh and I am going to talk to my vet about this but I was wondering if anyone of you has any idea.. I am concerned about hip displaysia. I know it's pretty common in large dogs and I was wondering if there are any ways to tell if a dog has it. The bony hips has me really worried..

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I know you are supposed to feel the ribs, but not this much! LOL! My other dog is in absolute perfect shape, so I know what to aim for with Buckley!

And OK, I got the highest protein content formula I could find, so maybe it is a good idea to follow the guidelines! I wish there was a way to weigh him before his vet checkup....

Oh and I am going to talk to my vet about this but I was wondering if anyone of you has any idea.. I am concerned about hip displaysia. I know it's pretty common in large dogs and I was wondering if there are any ways to tell if a dog has it. The bony hips has me really worried..
Not much to say about weight cause I also prefer a slow-easy weight gain as others have said. No for sure way short of x-rays to find out about hips. Relax and if hip problems are there they will show up with limping etc. The good news is that if he had severe hip problems he would be limping. As far as I know there is no way to feel bony hips for the problem, if you could feel that kind of problem I doubt if he would be even walking.

If you trust your Vet then for sure follow his instructions on weight. Online it's awful hard to judge a big hairball's body with Pics. He does not lack for handsome qualifications, 6 months down the road with weight, new coat etc he will be quite a hunk so to speak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not much to say about weight cause I also prefer a slow-easy weight gain as others have said. No for sure way short of x-rays to find out about hips. Relax and if hip problems are there they will show up with limping etc. The good news is that if he had severe hip problems he would be limping. As far as I know there is no way to feel bony hips for the problem, if you could feel that kind of problem I doubt if he would be even walking.

If you trust your Vet then for sure follow his instructions on weight. Online it's awful hard to judge a big hairball's body with Pics. He does not lack for handsome qualifications, 6 months down the road with weight, new coat etc he will be quite a hunk so to speak.
Thanks! He is a good looking dog! The man I got him from said a breeder wouldn't want to use him as a stud because his ears flop a little bit. But that is fine because I want to get him neutered. It's so tempting to breed him, and the rescuer has an unspayed Husky....But I would feel so guilty adding to the thousands of homeless animals in just my state alone. :(

·
Registered
905 Posts
As a note, there's no such things as a "great' or 'giant' Alaskan Malamute..just those bred to be out of standard. He's just an oversized Alaskan Malamute.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a note, there's no such things as a "great' or 'giant' Alaskan Malamute..just those bred to be out of standard. He's just an oversized Alaskan Malamute.
Oh, I know. I just think it's neat that he is bigger than average. Plus it's an important factor regarding his weight and feeding.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Oh, I know. I just think it's neat that he is bigger than average. Plus it's an important factor regarding his weight and feeding.
He's cute - but "neat that he is bigger than average"? The health problems associated with the Giants are ridiculous as Malamutes are not supposed to be anywhere near as big as they get. I wouldn't think that it was neat at all but probably quite terrible as he ages he's going to have a terrible time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He's cute - but "neat that he is bigger than average"? The health problems associated with the Giants are ridiculous as Malamutes are not supposed to be anywhere near as big as they get. I wouldn't think that it was neat at all but probably quite terrible as he ages he's going to have a terrible time.
Is this really going to turn into a bashing thread? Hey, at least I ADOPTED him as a rescue dog in need! I was sooo close to shelling out $150 for a new puppy from a back-yard breeder until I met Buckley's rescuer. If I had it my way, I wouldn't want him to be giant, as I know there are added health problems. But at least I'm feeding him great food, giving him love and exercise that he desperately needed. And I may as well make the best of it! So I am proud to call this enormous beast my pal.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Actually - it's not a breed bashing(???), especially since I own a Siberian and will always own a northern breed. It was because you said he was "neat" for being large so I pointed out (because MAYBE you didn't know) that with being large comes with associated risks (and vet bills). I said nothing about you not being a good owner or loving him.

(I don't agree with any breeding of a dog making it bigger and more unhealthy than it is supposed to be and breeding without proper health clearances - and certainly don't promote puppy mills or "backyard breeders")

So why are you even "tempted to breed him" if you know all of these things? Just out of curiosity? Which is where my actual point of the health problems came from.
It's so tempting to breed him, and the rescuer has an unspayed Husky....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually - it's not a breed bashing(???), especially since I own a Siberian and will always own a northern breed. It was because you said he was "neat" for being large so I pointed out (because MAYBE you didn't know) that with being large comes with associated risks (and vet bills). I said nothing about you not being a good owner or loving him.

(I don't agree with any breeding of a dog making it bigger and more unhealthy than it is supposed to be and breeding without proper health clearances - and certainly don't promote puppy mills or "backyard breeders")

So why are you even "tempted to breed him" if you know all of these things? Just out of curiosity? Which is where my actual point of the health problems came from.
OK, well then thank you for your concern and advice about the health problems. I don't support breeding dogs for size, like teacup Chihuahuas, and if I had met this dog still owned by his original breeder, I would not have gotten him. But I am adopting him from a man that rescued him. His previous owner, the people that bred his parents, were starving and neglecting him.

I say it's tempting to breed him because he is so beautiful, duh! I've never had an intact dog before and I love puppies! But no matter how cute puppies are, I can't add to the problem of homeless pets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I actually do have some questions! Do all Malamutes act like old dogs? Lazy, stubborn, and care-free? He acts exactly like my mother-in-law's senior Rottweiler! If I didn't know he was 2 and a half, I would swear he was much older! :(

Also, how important is it to take out the undercoat on his face? I'm having a heck of a time stripping out his fluffy cheeks. He doesn't mind being brushed, but I wonder if I can skip that part and focus more on the rest of his body. I really want to get him bathed because he smells like horse poop, but I wanted to brush him adequately first.

Oh and is a brown nose normal? I thought snow dogs were supposed to have black noses to help with the sun. I understand some of them get a lighter coloration during summer, which Buckley has a pinkish strip down the middle of his nose. But the rest of it isnt black, its brownish. Just wondering if it's normal! Paranoid new mom here LOL!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Handsome fellow!
When we got our Akita a friend told us "They shed like it's their job!".
Think you will have the same fun!..LOL!

Easy on the weight gain. Much better to put in on as exercise muscle than fat.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Red (as well as white) dogs usually have liver pionts (red or fleshy colored) - in siberians when red dogs have black points it's called Sable. It's totally normal because of his coat color for him to lack the black pigmentation (eye rims, nose, lips and pads are liver instead of black).

he doesn't have undercoat on his face - it's just short hair - if you mean the poofies down his neck behind his cheeks/ears you can just brush it. But I wouldn't be taking undercoat rakes or anything like that to his face. The shortest parts of the coat can just be done with a comb or regular brush - since the skin is right there you can hurt him. Give him a quick brushing before then bathe him - then give him a good brushing after the bath. You'll get much more of his coat out while he's wet.

Erica will be better at answering the malamute questions - but her girl Maggie is very relaxed and calm and lazy. Stubborn is rampant in all northern breeds.
Also - since he's a rescue he may be that way since he's adjusting - his true personality may not shine for 2-6 months after you've had him. (though from what Erica says most Malamutes are pretty chill dogs but each dog within a breed is also individual so you can get pretty lazy ones and some pretty high strung ones in any breed)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts