Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to let everybody know how thankful I am for this wonderful forum! I have some problems with my 9 month old chihuahua and I'm seeking desperate help!

I need some advice on how to get my 9 month old male chihuahua to listen to me! I have tried everything I have read on the internet like putting him in a time-out spot when he does something wrong or won't listen to me. I have also tried lightly tapping him with a rolled up newspaper and I have also tried the ignore technique along with lots of other things...nothing works!

When he sees my neighbors across the road he automatically starts barking and runs across the road to them stands 5 feet away and just keeps barking. No matter how many times I call his name, clap my hands or whistle for him to come he just keeps going won't even turn back to look at me! I always have to go across the road and get him because he will never ever come back on his own when I call him to come. I talked to my neighbors and asked them to be friendly with him and that does not work either. He just wants to do what he wants to do and that's it! He also chases people riding bikes and large trucks that make alot of noise and runs into the woods barking at birds and what not. Nothing I say or do will change his course of action when hes doing something I don't want him to do. The only time he listens is when hes not doing anything at all, I can call his name and say come and he comes right over wagging his tale, happy as can be.

People say to train him to do tricks to make him act better....how can I train him when he won't listen to me at all? This is the most hard headed dog I have ever owned and I have owned about 7 dogs because I LOVE dogs! All my other dogs have learnt tricks and listen on command. I only have 2 dogs now, the one I'm talking about and another small dog that he gets along with very well.

I love my chihuahua with a passion like hes my own child. This is my first dog of this kind of breed and I have been told that chihuahua's are naturally hard headed but I can't and won't give up. Please, can somebody help me with how to teach my chihuahua at least to stop doing what hes doing and come/listen to me? I live in the backwoods country so there's not much traffic at all but I don't like even taking any chances at all of him being hurt. I don't want to tie him up to a chain either! He deserves freedom!

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I would keep him on a lead so he doesn't get hurt, and then do recall, and give him either a treat of a special toy depends on what he will work for, that way you can pratice without having to worry about your dog running after something.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd go back to the beginning with your Chi. Since he doesn't have any recall, don't let him outside unless he's on a leash. Besides being annoying to your neighbors, your dog's at risk of getting hit by a car or attacked by another dog. If you don't have a fenced in yard, get him an X-pen so he can have a little bit of freedom running around in your yard. Many people get a couple of them and connect them to provide a larger area.

Whenever training him to do anything, have him on a leash, even in the house. Use high value treats that he can't resist, like tiny pieces of hot dog or boiled chicken. I'd also recommend signing him up for obedience classes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I was really trying to avoid putting him in a lot or leashing him but I guess that's just what I'll have to do to get him on the right track.

·
Registered
211 Posts
First of all, I recommend going over to YouTube and watch the Kikopup dog training videos. You'll learn a lot.

For your pup's safety, you'll want to put him on a leash and harness when you go outside. He's learned some bad habits so it's time to start redirecting him in a more positive direction. Taking the pup away from the stimulating situation will help him learn to calm himself so that he gets rewarded with interaction.

Avoid using negative punishment methods, such as bopping him with a rolled up newspaper, since this will only create more negative behavior and hardheadedness. The worse result is making the dog fear you and go into shutdown when you're trying to teach them something. They're seemingly calm but training becomes quite difficult.

You can also use small food treats to reward the behavior you want. You don't have to give them for every successful performance but they can be used to get the pup's attention and to encourage positive behaviors. I use regular treats cut up into Chihuahua size morsels. I also use tiny bits of deli chicken or ham or real bacon bits for high value treats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts