Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Atlas, my aussie, was a total land shark for probably the first six weeks after I brought him home. He was also non-stop nipping and biting and drawing blood on more than a few occasions. He went to 'doggy daycare' at my parent's house during the day and got to play with their dog - I think she taught him a lot of helpful things. Admittedly though, I kind of knew he would grow out of the biting so just kind of rode it out - if he got too insane I would retreat to the couch where he couldn't get me until he would get bored and go take a nap or find something else to play with. After the six-ish week mark I noticed his biting was a lot more gentle and it was much easier to get him to stop. He then really did grow out of it, and now you wouldn't know he terrorized us for weeks on end! (Now he is just a big hairy monster who loves to get wet then roll in all the dirt he can find, every time he can find it...)

If I had a suggestion, it might be to have your puppy crated or put in an x-pen when you can't be right there to help manage the interactions with the kids. I know it doesn't sound like fun, but the less chance she gets to practice bad behaviour (like chasing and nipping the kids/you) the easier it will be to train her not to. And then make sure the kids know and respect that when she's in there, they cannot bother her or try to play with her. It gives the pup some down time, and probably won't hurt the kids either to know the pup isn't always available to play and that she needs time to chill out too. I probably should have done more of this with Atlas, but he was exceptionally good about not getting into things he shouldn't and taking naps when he was tired, so I left him out of his crate quite a bit. But he still doesn't love his crate, and I wish I had done more of it.

I know this isn't much help, but more of a 'keep at it, it WILL get better'! Your little girl sounds like quite the handful though - welcome to the world of aussie puppies! :D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts