Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In three weeks, my husband and I will be bringing home an 8 wk old little girl goldie. I'm rusty but my husband has never lived with a dog due to living in a city or living in an apartment or not having a fenced yard, etc.

We're both older adults and my experience is from my own childhood dogs (German shepherd, a terrier of some sort?, and a much beloved dobie) and from the two dogs my own children had while growing up (a lab and another dobie - both kids are adults now and the dogs have passed away).

Not only am I rusty, I'm also fuzzy on how to handle a two-storey home. Two crates - one for each floor? A baby gate seems like a must to me to limit wandering of an untrained puppy but how do I safely train a puppy to go up/down stairs when a safety rail interferes with the use of a simple gate?

So I'm here to read and learn all that experienced dog parents have to share.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You can find stair gates. However, I'm still unsure it was worth using for us - our puppy never really wandered away from me anyway, and because we never really let her go upstairs until 8 months, she didn't know now to pee on the carpet (we only have wood/tile floors downstairs).. I'm going to try without the gate for our next puppy. Honestly, you should keep the puppy with you at all times anyway to make sure she doesn't get in trouble... We just put a gate in the den's doorway as it's where we spend most of the time (and we still use it when we don't want the dogs to access the rest of the house). The rest of the time, I just watched her like a hawk (and put her in her crate if I was too busy).

And yes we did two crates. It depends on where you want the puppy to sleep though - ours slept in our room and it avoided the crazy howling of the first nights. It is more difficult to housebreak a puppy when they have to go all the way downstairs at night or in the morning to pee though, not gonna lie... I ended up carrying me mine outside until she was mostly housebroken (and actually fell down the stairs and got a HUGE bruise because of it on night 2. Lesson learned - turned on the light, watch your step)... that probably won't work with our next puppy though as it will be much bigger, so I'm going to keep an eye on this post. And we kept a crate downstairs too for daily use. We got rid of the upstairs crate at 7 months and just let her free at night (it was getting too small anyway), and stopped crating her altogether at 15 months, except when we have guests because she's not the friendliest dog with kids she doesn't know).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts