Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I am from TheCatSite.com
They mentioned you have a dog forum.
Now I have a dog
SO.
I'm here.
Topic of desired discussion:
How to get dog to use dog door. Automatic PetSafe brand with key sensing the radio signal will open the door.

·
Super Moderator
11,797 Posts
The very first step is to get the dog house-trained. Doggy doors are not a means of house-training. They are simply a convenience for people who have a dog that is already motivated to go outdoors.

I've taught several dogs to use the regular doggy doors with flexible flaps. Honestly the fastest way seems to be to allow the dog to follow a dog that already uses the doggy door. I expect training the automatic door would be quite different.

But, regardless, the dog must first have the desire to go outside when it's so much more convenient to go in the house. During house-training it's important that you accompany the dog so you know when the mission is accomplished and you can reward her extravagantly, so the doggy door is a non-factor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The very first step is to get the dog house-trained. Doggy doors are not a means of house-training. They are simply a convenience for people who have a dog that is already motivated to go outdoors.

I've taught several dogs to use the regular doggy doors with flexible flaps. Honestly the fastest way seems to be to allow the dog to follow a dog that already uses the doggy door. I expect training the automatic door would be quite different.

But, regardless, the dog must first have the desire to go outside when it's so much more convenient to go in the house. During house-training it's important that you accompany the dog so you know when the mission is accomplished and you can reward her extravagantly, so the doggy door is a non-factor.
She just got fixed. I talked to them about the vomiting, diarrhea, and drainage from her private area. I'll have to get her straightened out physically. I want her to be next to me, however; when ever she is on the carpet she vomits.
She whines in her crate. So I put her in my bed at night. She doesn't get down, she licks me to let me know to let her out.
She used to not go up the stairs, I had to carry her. She just learned to take food from my hand.
When I'm not home, I put her outside in the yard. She has a dog house. I put food and water out.
It'll get cold in the midwest soon. I want to get this potty training done!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Please don't leave her outside when you're gone.
Theft, birds of prey...she could be gone lickety split.
Either crate her or use a larger x pen.
A client of mine had her two beloved senior Maltese Yorkie mixes stolen this summer. Right out of pet sitters yard 😭

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please don't leave her outside when you're gone.
Theft, birds of prey...she could be gone lickety split.
Either crate her or use a larger x pen.
A client of mine had her two beloved senior Maltese Yorkie mixes stolen this summer. Right out of pet sitters yard 😭
I have no choice. I have cameras for human animals. She is stocky. She isn't a pom.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Pet thefts are a huge problem worldwide at the moment.. The covid lockdown has led to people wanting pets but the demand cant keep up so some nasty people are stealing them.. A pen or secure area is essential and even then its a risk..

In this early stage it sounds as if treating her as you would a pup ie taking them outside every hour or so after each meal, after each playtime, on waking, before bed etc would really help and of course praise like mad and treat with a high value treat so that she learns that outside toilet is the best thing since sliced bread.
As for doggy doors ..Ive never used one but at training class we did do some training for walking through tunnels and walking through swing gates. The tip was to first hold the door/gate open and let the dog see you on the other side with a treat, once they are used to popping through to get the treat you half open the gate , then progress to holding the treat so that just by pushing the gate a little they get the treat and then (and this could take multiple sessions) start asking them to come through the gate before getting the treat..

Similar training was encouraged for the crate training , again Ive never used one but it has to be a place they connect with happy thoughts ie treats and safety not a place they get locked into and left..

As for the vomiting is this new since her op ? In which case Id call the vet or a change of food or stress?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She only goes into the crate at night. I hear her licking, and I let her out. That is when she isn't sleeping in my bed, licking me to let me know to let her out. The shelters are as full as ever in my area. There are plenty of pets available. Our state has went back to work, pet owners are unable to keep the pets they just got. The pets went back to the shelter.
She won't go out of the crate unless I open the door wide. She used to not go up/down stairs to the yard or door until her nails were clipped. I've been working on her with the back door. Now she will come up the stairs to go back in, once I have the door open. Yesterday, I put her outside through the dog door said go potty, "she peed on the back porch, instead of the grass".
My cats use the dog door. They scratch when it is on OPEN mode, or I leave an object holding it open and they go out. They like to sniff around, eat grass, and play hunt.
Eventually, I'll get Trixie used to the sound of the dog door opening. She's scared of it. It's about what RonE said. First she has to want to go outside. Then the doggie door is a connivence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pet thefts are a huge problem worldwide at the moment.. The covid lockdown has led to people wanting pets but the demand cant keep up so some nasty people are stealing them.. A pen or secure area is essential and even then its a risk..

In this early stage it sounds as if treating her as you would a pup ie taking them outside every hour or so after each meal, after each playtime, on waking, before bed etc would really help and of course praise like mad and treat with a high value treat so that she learns that outside toilet is the best thing since sliced bread.
As for doggy doors ..Ive never used one but at training class we did do some training for walking through tunnels and walking through swing gates. The tip was to first hold the door/gate open and let the dog see you on the other side with a treat, once they are used to popping through to get the treat you half open the gate , then progress to holding the treat so that just by pushing the gate a little they get the treat and then (and this could take multiple sessions) start asking them to come through the gate before getting the treat..

Similar training was encouraged for the crate training , again Ive never used one but it has to be a place they connect with happy thoughts ie treats and safety not a place they get locked into and left..

As for the vomiting is this new since her op ? In which case Id call the vet or a change of food or stress?
She’s been to the vet and now is fixed and well.
We start puppy class next week.
so far the cats haven’t pushed the crate away.
any suggestions to this set up?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts