Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just joined, obviously, specifically to ask a question in the health forum about my dog randomly yelp/screaming and then acting totally fine. I'd appreciate it if people are able to weight in their thoughts. (go to the health forum, i'll post about it there) thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so still finding my sea legs here, and i seem to be unable to post in the health forum. okay if i post my question here?

Basically last night I had given my dog (small chihuahua mix, about 7 years old and 13 lbs) a chew treat "No-Hide Chicken Chew" which is suppose to be a safe alternative to raw hide and easily digestible. He loved it and had a great time, however.. right when he was finishing it off he started screaming and shaking a little. It sounded like he was in extreme pain and maybe struggling to breathe, it was terrifying, i honestly thought he was dying! I ran to the phone, but before i could call the vet he pretty quickly stopped and was fine. He seemed a bit shaken for a min or two but then he was totally fine, breathing normally and doing normal dog things and wagging his tail. He ate his dinner fine and drank water and this morning he pooped like normal. I don't think I need to bring him into the vet, but i'll keep an eye on him.

He seems fine, but honestly I'm still very shaken. What do you think could of happened? I'm wondering if part of the chew just got stuck in his throat going down and it scared him, but then it worked its way through? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm gonna have nightmares about him screaming for awhile after this... geeez. No more chew treats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay... update on this. I ended up reaching out to ask the Vet anyhow just because it was causing me too much anxiety wondering what happened, even though he has no other symptoms and is fine. She said that its possible he might have a painful tooth, swallowed too big of a piece or maybe thought that he was choking. I'm going to continue to keep an eye on him, but he still seems good. I'm gonna guess he just swallowed too big a piece and freaked out. I mean, this dog also screams when there's ice on the sidewalk. Still curious if anyone else has experienced something like this with their dog? Or do i just have a drama queen dog that loves giving me heart attacks. haha.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It sounds to me like he got a piece stuck in his throat for a moment.

I don't give my dogs edible chews very often either because I'm freaked out of them choking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts