Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Izetta, I have an 8-year-old Yorkie Australian terrier mix named Terri. I have had her since she was a year old and adopted her.

When she was younger I trained her pretty well considering I didn't know what I was doing. She has always been pretty good about not peeing indoors unless she just couldn't hold it anymore and we didn't notice that she needed to go out.

I recently moved and at the same time, Terri was diagnosed with a common disease in terrier breeds (I can't recall the name at the moment). After her diagnoses, she was put on medication that has symptoms of excessive thirstiness and peeing. This has made it very difficult for us cause she pees on the floor a lot.

Like I said I just moved into a new place and it's gotten to the point where my whole room smells like pee because she will get up in the middle of the night to go and I don't hear her. We ended up getting a dog door in the hopes that this would help with the problem. However, it hasn't helped much as she refuses to use the dog door unless I am there. She uses it just fine if I tell her to go outside but if I am not standing right by the door she pees on the floor.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I will have to start crate training her for the night time. But I don't want to confine her to a crate all day, especially because we have a doggy door for her to use.

If you have any advice I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Could you try to train her to pee on puppy pads, or heck, a litter box? If it's in your room and easy to access all the time, that might not be too hard for her to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried pee pads, and she uses them about 30% of the time. usually, she just pees right next to it :(

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If it's an issue of her being unable to hold her bladder because of a medical issue, a crate is not going to help. She'll just be forced to pee in the crate, and you don't want to do that to her. Your best bet is taking her outside on a schedule. So, you would have to set an alarm for sometime during the night to take her outside. In fact, you should take her outside on a schedule whenever you are home and reward her greatly for going outside, as often as it is needed.

You might try setting up a crate attached to the doggy door, though, so her only option is to either use the doggy door and go outside or soil her crate. You would still have to crate train, of course, but this might help teach her that its okay and she should use the doggy door even if you're gone.

Just one thing with the doggy door if you are not home, you should make sure her outside space is safe and secure for her. A small dog such as that can easily be picked off by large birds of prey or coyotes, and I imagine she's small and cute so people may decide they want to steal her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts