Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new here and I got a new puppy his name is Loki he is a beagle. It is mostly for my 5 year old son who has autsim. I adopted him from the humane society. Loki is 2 months almost 3 months old. Since we got him and I put him up in his room in the utility room he barks, yelps, and howls at night. I have tried everything I know to keep him quiet. I have ignored him and told him to stop but nothing works. He wakes up every 2 hours during the night and does this. I take him for a walk and then put a fresh puppy pad down. The problem is I am getting tired of the puppy barking all the time. It makes it hard for me to get the sleep I need. I love the puppy and so does my son I just do not know what to do with the chewing, the noises at night, and the potty training. Any advice would be lovely. NO BASHING OR ANYTHING! Just simple advice.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
not bashing, but need a different mindset so you can cope better for the puppy sake... Your puppy is being normal and it takes time commitment patience and some sacrifice to help him through the new puppy stages. Understand you need your sleep so you can be there full time for your sons needs during the day. But for right now your on double duty..
Set a schedule that the pup can expect and learn from everyday. morning out for potty time, meal time, rest time, more potty times and walk times, play time to teach simple ob skills, more sleep and potty time, meal time potty and play, potty time and sleep time... and as long as they need it set your clock to get up during the night to take your puppy out on a schedule as well.. If your home no need to teach you pup to pee on a puppy pad and then have them pee and poop in your house as an adult.. something to consider not starting if you don't have to... Puppies learn from a schedule they can repeat..

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Are you getting up and walking him in the middle of the night?

Crate train him. Put him in the crate in your room. Get up once or twice during the night, on a schedule, take him out to pee,then straight back in. No walking, no playing. And ditch the puppy pads.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Let me get this straight you hate barking/howling so you got a beagle? they are easily known for howling and hunting calls why would you get a beagle? Also he's a puppy he is just a baby getting used to his new home. Also the advice already given is good advice follow it. Also this isn't bashing I'm genuinely curious why did you get a beagle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't really have a choice in the matter it is the one that clicked with my son and did not bite him. All the other dogs either scared him or bit him. This was the only dog who seemed to be nice. What I can't stand is that I have been trying to get him to stop yelping when I put him up for the night. But he is only quiet when he is with my son. I would set up everything for him in my son's room but my son is just 5 with autism. And yes when I said I. My first post I have tried everything I mean I have tried everything including walking in the middle of the night. I am puppy pad training him because I cannot go far from my apartment with my 5 year old still sleeping inside! You all do not need to be hateful I came seeking advice as this is my first dog I have ever had.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Actually,you're the one being hateful. Lol.

Walking him in the middle of the night is teaching him that if he barks at night he will get to go walk and play. He needs to just go to the bathroom and right back in.

Again, crate him, and put him with you so you can take him out at night. He is a baby and he is scared.
You don't have to take him far from your apartment, just walk him outside to pee. At 2 months he shouldn't be going for walks anyway since he's not fully vaccinated.

The pee pads can make potty training him harder. Unless you're wanting him to go on pads for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I don't think I'm being hateful, you're not making any sense...I'm pretty sure if one of the puppies didn't click with your son then you shouldn't have gotten a puppy. I don't know if that's just me or not but I probably just wouldn't have gotten a puppy. I think an adult dog would've been a lot better to start with especially if this is your first dog EVER. It's a lot to handle a 5 year old AND a puppy especially a toddler with autism....it's like having 2 children. A beagle is most likely always going to bark/howl/bay it's what they do. I just think the breed choice was a whim thing and it was probably a mistake. No offence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts