Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! New Puppy

Hey all! I just picked up a cavalier king charles from a breeder. She's been at my house less than a week. I was told she was crate trained, but after a few accidents on my carpet, the floor, etc, I see there are some issues! Her crate is large, but has a divider I put in to make it fit right around her, leaving no room for accidents.

She's gotten really good at going right outside when I open the crate for her, and goes potty quick. I shower her with praise tones, a pet, and usually a treat.

Here is where the issues come in... I see some saying that during crate training, you should only let them out to go to the bathroom, until their habit is very set. But I see her sad face and get her out to play for a bit after I take her outside, before I put her back in crate. But, eventually, I see her start sniffing around and boom, pee time. She does it right in front of me. I've raised my voice, scolded her, a little tap on the butt, and take her outside, where she finishes, but I don't get it. I've taught her to shake and sit in 2 days. She seems very brilliant. She knows exactly where to go when it's time to potty outside, but how do I get that connection to get her to tell me when she needs to go? I just got a doggie doorbell and hopefully she will learn to use that.

I know she is just a puppy.. Born mid April. So I am aware her bladder is so small. Just seems like she must know. She sulks, hangs her head, hides in my arms.. She knows it's bad to pee inside, but she does... I don't believe her to have a UTI (was at vet today) and no other ailments. I've used urine killing sprays and powders, etc, to try and kill any odors so she doesn't think it's a potty spot. I've also thought maybe the texture to her felt like grass, so she went, but now she has went on the wood and tile here and there..

Just want to be able to play with her and not have to fear she will pee all over. So many sources with different suggestions, it sucks!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Stop hitting the puppy. If she was born mid-april she's barely two months old - if she's been with you almost a week, she might even have been separated from her litter too early. She physically can't fully control her bladder yet and won't be able to for some time, so you're punishing her for something outside her control. Take her outside more often so her bladder has less pressure on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stop hitting the puppy. If she was born mid-april she's barely two months old - if she's been with you almost a week, she might even have been separated from her litter too early. She physically can't fully control her bladder yet and won't be able to for some time, so you're punishing her for something outside her control. Take her outside more often so her bladder has less pressure on it.
"Hitting" is a terrible way to phrase that! I'd never do anything to hurt her. Thanks for the info about being taken too early. That's not good :(

Right now she's going out every hour max. Luckily I work from home so am able to do that.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If she's peeing on the floor, by definition she's not going outside enough. Think of it like potty training an infant - they just CAN'T hold it. That's why they wear diapers. Since we don't diaper puppies, the dog needs to go outside often enough that her bladder is effectively always almost empty when she's awake. I know it's a pain, but it's kind of what one signs up for when they get a small pup rather than an older dog.

If you're smacking her to make her stop doing something, the idea is to use pain to train her. If you're not hitting her hard enough to hurt, then it's pointless. Since hitting a puppy hard enough to hurt would be a sadistic thing to do, you might as well stop hitting her altogether. Do you want her to associate your hand coming toward her with disapproval? It's just not effective and it can be counterproductive as well. I'm not a mushy person when it comes to dogs, but striking them is pointless at best. The "tap on the butt" is either so light as to mean nothing to the dog, or combined with the scolding teaching the dog that human hands mean punishment, or it's hard enough to hurt. None of those three things are good or useful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. This all makes sense to me! Sounds like I need to have patience, take her out more, do away with any physical punishment (the taps on the butt) as it could lead to her fearing humans and approaching hands, and is not really a useful method.

Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
Thanks for the input. This all makes sense to me! Sounds like I need to have patience, take her out more, do away with any physical punishment (the taps on the butt) as it could lead to her fearing humans and approaching hands, and is not really a useful method.

Thanks for the info!
It's great that you're so open to learning and taking the excellent advice you're getting here. I'd add just a bit more, and that's to also stop scolding your pup when you catch her peeing indoors, as it can backfire in a big way. Dogs rarely connect punishment in the way we think they will, and far more often than not, when you scold or punish them for peeing inside, they don't associate the scolding and punishment with peeing indoors, but instead associate it with peeing in front of YOU and will simply start trying to hide their pee indoors, which makes house training incredibly difficult.

If she has an accident indoors, don't make a fuss, just interrupt her if you catch her in the act, take her outside, and throw a huge party with loads of praise and yummy treats when she finishes. If you don't catch her in the act, simply clean it up and resolve to take her out more often and watch her more closely. And remember that puppies don't get full control of their bladders until they're at least 5 or 6 months old, so don't raise your expectations of her too high. It's far better to get her on a set routine of potty times than stress about getting her to tell you when she needs to go out. Many dogs take a year or more to get to that point, and many never do. It took my dog years before he would actually let me know when he wanted to go out.

Above all, hang in there, she'll get it, it just takes time, consistency, and patience on your part! :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
It's great that you're so open to learning
Agreed! Your pup is a lucky one, and with your patience and persistence housetraining is likely to go very well. It seems like an eternity when you have having to constantly attend to them, but just remind yourself, this too shall pass! :) My advice is to get lots of photos now...they grow up very quickly, particularly small breed dogs!

One thing that makes potty training easier is to feed on a schedule, if you are not already, so the timing of the digestive system is more predictable. Water should be offered freely, but many dogs mostly drink water right after eating or exercising, not at random intervals. Dogs are creatures of habit, so if you can get them into the habit of "this is the time we go outside, and I relieve myself outside" they are less likely to go in the house, even if they're not truly 100% housetrained yet. This will come as the dog gets older and has more control, but it is good to start habits now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys! All is well! No more house accidents as I've been really careful with food/water/play regulations and, she now knows to ring the bell I got her when she needs to go potty! Lots of training and treats!

The breeder said she would sleep all night with no accidents. That hasn't worked for me. Usually find pee every am. I'm not mad, I don't expect her to hold it all night at her age, but I am curious what the breeder was doing to get that success.. Someone suggested to remove her dog bed and training mats so she doesn't want to potty and be in it. Well, I got a small bed that is just a patch as big as her, and she just peed on it AND in corner of crate. This is a small crate, but I have room for a small bed some room for a food/water bowl at those times. At night I had been giving her a bed that fits this entire space from sides to sides so she could sleep comfortable, and have no room to pee.

So my question (finally), will removing her bed make her less likely to pee at night for a bit? Or should I start forcing myself to be up middle of night to take her out? I hate taking her bed away, I just imagine her cold on the crate floor, but my sleep schedule is so hard, I need it when I can get it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, for clarity, I'm not giving water near bed, or anything like that. Food/water 2 hrs before bed, usually a walk, some play to get tired, then to bed when I go to bed.

One concern is maybe when my roommate leaves about 630am for work, that he is waking her up and she realizes she must pee, and she goes then.. Then when I get up at 8-9 I find it...

Maybe I should have him start taking her out? Idk.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Many young pups - especially small breeds - need potty breaks during the night for their first few months. It's very possible that your pup wakes at 6:30 when she hears your roommate and goes then. I'd plan to get up before your roommate leaves, take her out, and then go back to sleep. If you still find that she's had an accident, try getting up earlier. It's also possible that she hears your roommate get up and get ready for work, and that's when the accident happens.

My younger dog is crated during the day without a bed or crate pad because I don't trust him not to eat it. He doesn't seem to care.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd highly recommend going to dogstardaily.com and getting some of the free downloads. There is tons of great puppy raising advice there, and since you're open to good advice, why not get it from the best?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts