Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I like the weight post.
Baeo almost looks like she may have a bit of Akita too. Beautiful dog.
You know, I was thinking Akita at first also! Husky/Mal - Husky/Akita - but her tail feathers too much to be them. Then I thought Husky/Keeshonden because of the tail and she just took on all of the Siberian and stole their tail :|. I really do adore her tail.

Anyway, I can discuss Siberian's all day :p. They're people-pleasers when they know that there is something in it for them in the end! Bella is a very Ceara (me) pleaser but no one else really matters. Bella is also super food driven so that really helps with how she wants to please. This girl will do absolutely -ANYTHING- for food.

I totally know what it's like to be on two different pages with your SO! I spent the first 4 months of Bella's life getting into arguments with my SO about training. He didn't believe in it and I know I couldn't handle an untrained Siberian! But I also do all of my training myself. You should enroll Baeo into the agility :eek: Siberian's end up being great for it! There's a member on here - Sibe - who does agility with her all white Siberian, Denali.

Especially if you have a really drivey dog. Siberian's -love- to run :D. Run run run and run!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh! Ill have to think about agility with her! I've never seen a husky in agility. I bet that would be great. I wonder if it would help with off-leash control and recalling? I'm under the impression that huskies cannot really be trusted off leash due to prey drive. What's your take on this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Some other pictures:

These were taken by Baeo's previous owner's in her previous household.

I took this one at Bass Pro. She wanted to eat the catfish!

Sammy napping (this was shortly after I had first gotten her).

Motley.

Motley as a puppy (previous household).

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Oh! Ill have to think about agility with her! I've never seen a husky in agility. I bet that would be great. I wonder if it would help with off-leash control and recalling? I'm under the impression that huskies cannot really be trusted off leash due to prey drive. What's your take on this?
They shouldn't be trusted (fully) off-leash. It doesn't mean that they can't be trained to be off lead. :). It really varies and depends on the dog. Bella has a very, very high prey drive. If I had the ambition to train her for off-lead and to work on and give her near perfect recall - I still wouldn't trust her off-lead. Her prey drive is ridiculous as an example - a leaf cannot blow in the wind down the street without Bella stalking and chasing and catching it - she will not let up until that leaf is caught. And when she see's rabbits or anything - she's never okay even after the bunny is gone - for at least 15 minutes she'll stalk around in hunt mode.

And there is absolutely no guarantee that no matter how well your dogs recall is - that he/she will come back every single time. All it takes is one thing to set them off and they will ignore you for whatever it is they're after. And since running is such an inherit trait for them - they will run off miles and miles before they ever realize you're not around and they can cover a lot more ground than we ever could. Just some things to think about.

I personally wouldn't trust a Siberian off-lead unless I was in an enclosed area. I would never risk her seeing something and chasing it and disappearing. Because I know as much of a bond that she and I have - her instinct to run, chase, hunt/kill a small animal is much greater and she could be long gone. The risk isn't worth it to me.

For example: I know someone who's dog (who has pretty awesome recall and leave it command) saw a cat and their owner couldn't call him off and he killed the cat. Now, what if he'd have never gotten the cat and he just kept chasing it? That's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

Now I'm saying it can't be done, it's just personal feelings on it. :)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I am so fascinated by Baeo. So she is possibly a wolf hybrid?
IF she is - she's a very -very- low content wolf hybrid. In my opinion (which isn't anything noteworthy xD) she -looks- like a purebred Siberian that isn't bred to the standard. Which there is nothing wrong with that! She's absolutely stunning and beautiful! If she -is- a mix, she's probably part Siberian part another northern breed - probably NOT a wolf. (We'd have to have nekomi or cindy in on the thread and get their opinions) People will market them as wolf hybrids for money but they're just Siberian or Malamute mixes.

Her prey drive doesn't mean that she's part wolf, either. :) Siberians are notorious for their high prey drives and their absolutely terrible recall. xD It's just when they see something and they really get hyped up and going there's just no stopping it. When Bella sees say - bunnies in the yard. She'll see them before I do - but she tenses up terribly - doesn't move a muscle - which alerts me that she has seen something. Her hackles go up her head goes down so from the tip of her nose to the tip of her tail her entire body is straight. And she stalks - how she stalks is an absolutely beautiful and terrifying thing. She gets fixated and she hardly moves at first. Then she very - very - slowly moves forward. And get as close as she can and then she'll break! The only difference is ...she has about 6 feet before she gets stopped by the leash>.> where as mr. bunny just takes off! lol

But like I said, Bella's prey drive is insanely strong. The strongest in any of the Siberian's I've met/been around. Leaves blowing in the wind set her off to go into chase mode. And she doesn't stop until she's caught it and it's "dead". Then she drops it and we go on our way.

The Chukchi tribes in Siberia who are credited with creating the breed - were nomadic so they needed dogs to pull their sleds that had the tribes entire livelihood on them. They're prey drive is so high because in the summers when the tribe would settle for the season somewhere - the Chukchi would release the dogs and they'd have to fend for themselves for the length of the summer - which meant they had to hunt to survive. Siberian's also were bred to expend the most amount of energy on the least amount of food - which is a trait that they still have to this day. A Siberian will eat less food with more energy than a dog of a different breed and same weight. Yay for some history on the Siberian Husky!

I know I'm crazy jealous of Baeo! She is absolutely beautiful! If Bella could understand the things I say about other dogs she'd have torn my eyes out by now. xD

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well "wolf hybrid" is actually an out-dated term. Dogs and wolves are the same species, so they can't be hybrid if they are mixed. When I was first researching it, I learned that wolfdog is the correct term.

With that said, I *personally* think she is mixed with wolf - certain physical features are my only hints. She doesn't look like a German Shepherd or Akita, but perhaps Malamute or maybe all Siberian. I'm no expert but where I work, I've seen many purebred and mixed dogs of those breeds. I think it's obvious that she is part husky. But I'll probably never know. So I'm just going to call her a husky LOL

She had her vet appointment yesterday and did really well. The receptionist thought she was part German Shepherd, and one of the vet techs thinks she's part wolf. She said they had a wolfdog come into the office the other day and was very aggressive. She made a comment about really liking Baeo, and that she was a lot sweeter than the dog they had the other day. I asked them about DNA testing, but they didn't have anything. If I got a kit from a store, I don't know how accurate it would be, or if wolf is even something the test tests for...

I'd really like to talk to other wolfdog owners - or someone with experience (more than just having a dog related to a wolf). All mixed breeds can vary in appearance. The previous owner claimed to have seen the dad. It's not like we paid him a fortune to take his dog, so feeding us all this information about her being part wolf means nothing to me. He knew we just wanted a husky. He had told us she was just a husky, until we actually talked about adopting her and then he started to tell us that her dad was a Timberwolf. He said that they had got her from a breeder in VA. He bought Baeo and her sister. Baeo was the only puppy with a blue eye. We paid a very small "adoption fee" to take her.

When I expressed my interest in spaying her, he mentioned something about how much people would pay for wolfdog puppies. I'm against breeding my dogs, and ignored him on the matter. He also had made a brief comment about her tail - and that if it didn't curl, "it would be better."

Sounds like he might have had intentions on breeding them.

Anyway, Motley got spayed yesterday so she's acting a little loopy. We had to reschedule Baeo for the 29th. I'm SO happy to know that Baeo only has tapeworm, and that she just needs to gain 6-8lbs. Other than that, no UTI, no kidney infection, no heart worm, no other internal parasites, no ear problems, and the physical indicates that her hip and joints should be okay (of course an x-ray would be more accurate, but he didn't think that was necessary unless I really wanted to).

I think she could be Husky / Malamute / Wolf (very small percentage).

Here is an agouti Malamute.
http://www.kwestmals.com/Agouti_2_op_800x669.jpg

Here is an agouti Siberian Husky.
http://www.huskycolors.com/images/agouti/AgoutiLaskaL.jpg

Hmmm..... That Siberian looks a lot like Baeo, but Baeo has a wider head.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts