Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a new (first-time) owner of a Maltese/Pomeranian hybrid and am happy to be here. The reason I have joined is that I want to learn all the tools of trade when raising a happy, healthy puppy.
Bodhi was born on 6/23/2011 - and he's a fast learner! But we still have so much to learn...(potty training, flea control/prevention, proper nutrition, etc.)

I'm excited to get to know the members & their pets; but most importantly their advice!

Bodhi04.jpg

(By the by; my name is Tara.)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
HELLO! What part of SC? I'm hopeing to move the the greenvill area with in the next year.

I will give you some advice right now if you don't mind. Hybred the word used with dogs that are crossed with wolves. For our regular furry friends we just say mix. :)

I hope you learn a lot here and have fun with your new baby!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stand corrected and thanks for that tid-bit! :) (Actually: I had a wolf/husky 'hybrid' once - terrible choice for me. Very dominant wolf genes.)

I live in Columbia, SC - thank you for the welcome!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I stand corrected and thanks for that tid-bit! :) (Actually: I had a wolf/husky 'hybrid' once - terrible choice for me. Very dominant wolf genes.)

I live in Columbia, SC - thank you for the welcome!!
Oh really? my old dog was a WolfxGSD!

I'm going to goto a dog grooming school in Irmo. Do you know any thing about the school near there?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure - I've been quoted at 35 which is a good deal to me, but cheaper is good too! :) SHould I wait until he's had all three of his main vaccinations/immunisations before having him groomed? (Don't want him to get a disease from other animals.)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Hello and welcome! Hope you enjoy ! There is much info here! :) Your puppy is adorable!

What a mess! LOL!!!!!.............couldn't fix this Automerged Doublepost :)........seems ok now!........gheez!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sure - I've been quoted at 35 which is a good deal to me, but cheaper is good too! :) Should I wait until he's had all three of his main vaccinations/immunizations before having him groomed? (Don't want him to get a disease from other animals.)
http://scschoolofdoggrooming.com/grooming.htm here is the school. The cheep prices are for when the students groom, honestly students do better job some times because there being graded.

personallynaly would wait, and I would start brushing him myself to get him used to being handled. I would brush his arm pits, tail, legs, and any where else that could become a problem along with the rest of his body. Remember to keep it fun, with lots of hugs and kisses! nothing is worse than a dog that doesn't want to be groomed. :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you! I am very glad to be here. :)

10-4 on the grooming at home - I've given him a few baths and he's behaving well with them. He's so little though I worry about his blood temperature dropping I used a small hair dryer on low and held him to keep him warm. I haven't started brushing yet, but I will begin today.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Thank you! I am very glad to be here. :)

10-4 on the grooming at home - I've given him a few baths and he's behaving well with them. He's so little though I worry about his blood temperature dropping I used a small hair dryer on low and held him to keep him warm. I haven't started brushing yet, but I will begin today.
It sounds like your off to a GREAT start!! The hair dryer is a awesome idea, as he will be dried at a groomers!!

·
Super Moderator
11,493 Posts
I will give you some advice right now if you don't mind. Hybred the word used with dogs that are crossed with wolves. For our regular furry friends we just say mix.
Actually, there is no consensus about what hybrid really means.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, there is no consensus about what hybrid really means.
That's interesting too; because I see the words "designer" and "hybrid" used together a lot when explaining his breed. Thanks for the input.

...and thanks to everyone for the welcome to me & puppy. We're ecstatic to be here - and I have already learned so much!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Greetings fellow Midlands member. I am out in the Lexington area. There are several cool doggie events in the works around our area. I hope to one day be the owner of a toy poodle and if I do it would be cool to have someone to do doggie playdates with(that is if your into that).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts