Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I registered on this site to get some help with my new dog. We got her a week ago from my uncle, who had a pregnant stray dog on his property. He took in the puppies and my dog, Ringo, is one of the pups.

Ringo is a 2 year old Walker Coon Hound. Very beautiful and lean. I've only heard her bark twice the entire week that we've had her. She's very well behaved, is house-trained, and knows 'sit' and 'shake'. There is really only one issue with her: she's very skittish.

When we met her at my uncle's house, we took her into his man cave (an external building to their house)to meet her. She was kind of jumpy there when she heard something, but we just figured that it was because she was somewhere that she hadn't been before (her and her siblings stayed outside in pens). She was friendly with us and didn't seem to have any issues (except for drooling!)

The drooling has stopped (mostly) but she is extremely skittish and doesn't eat much at all. We were told that she eats 3.5 cups of food a day (feeding her once a day) and in the week that we've had her, she's only eaten about 2 days worth of food (she actually ate a decent bit last night for the first time). I understand that; she may just have to get used to being somewhere new. She also doesn't like treats. However the skittishness is very concerning.

Around the house, almost any kind of noise will make alert and she scampers away, looking over her shoulder. She was terrified the first time she heard the garage door close. Lots of other things, too: tossing something in the garbage, loud cars in the parking lot near our house, etc...

I take her on walks around our neighborhood and she is generally fine. She doesn't pay much attention to other dogs and she's pretty friendly with people. Even when a car drives by, she's pretty fine with that. However, if when we're walking, a sprinkler turns on or something, she'll try to scamper away when she hears the noise. Random stuff like that gets her. We were walking on Thursday evening and a car drove by and ran over a closed soda bottle and it made a loud POP sound. That sent her over the edge. She was so scared that she was skidding her claws on the pavement as I was trying to keep up with her running away. I stopped her every once in a while to try to console her, but it didn't help. After a few minutes of dragging me along, she settled down.

Today, we tried to take her to a farmer's market down town to try to acclimate her a little better with her surroundings and get her some social interactions. We drove her there (she's pretty decent in the car) and got her out, but as soon as we approached the road she started freaking out again (not as bad as the last scenario though). We tried to walk it off but ended up just going home.

It's very frustrating and I feel really bad for her; I don't want her to feel scared all of the time. Does anyone know what I can do to help her get over her skittishness? She's a very sweet dog but I don't know what is causing this. She was adopted as a puppy, but they had to bring her back for some reason (not behavioral reasons; he decided to go to college or something). I don't know if anything happened when he had her, but my uncle said he was a good guy so I really doubt he abused her or something like that. Would another dog help the situation? The only other dog she's met since we got her was my in-law's multi-poo (ugh) and it chased her away. The multi-poo is apparently pretty territorial.

Anyways, any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for reading.

tl;dr looking for help with a 2 year old skittish dog.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Fearfuldogs.com is a great resource. What you have is a completely unsocialized hunting dog. You can't take her to the market and expect her to be okay. Imagine if you spent your entire life in one room and then someone kept taking you to rock concerts and carnivals.

You need to back off and let het adjust and slowly introduce her to the world.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I agree with Amaryllis. A farmer's market is kind of like a 'final exam' type of situation you should only try once you've done tons of ground work and she seems okay in other less-intense situations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts