Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
can you expound on what the issues are you need help with ?? this can be a great place for information but you are not telling us much about his/her problems !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I posted in one of the forums. We have a lab mix that a was a 8 month old rescue/shelter pup when we got him. Now he is 2 years old, and although he has always played a little on the rough side, now he is running across the underground electrice dog fence we have and biting people. Luckily, we have always been outside when the two incidents have occured and the bites were not bad, but he looked upset and I had a hard time controling him. There was another occasion when we had another person get out of their car on our property an he bute them on their leg, he was barking and was really upset. I dont know what sets him off?? He gets pleanty of exercise and attention. We dont play rough with him, we try to use positive reinforcement with him and we think its working until he goes off and bites someone. I have owned many dogs and have never had this problem. We need help, If not we are going to have to give him up and we really dont want to do that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What sort of exercise? Do you mean he's running around inside the electric fence by himself? Or is it structured exercise like walks, puzzles and games that make him think... retrieving games or tracking games? If he's just let out to 'entertain' himself and 'run around', he's still likely to be going stir crazy on the inside. Has he had any formal obedience training?

Sometimes, no matter how many dogs we've had or trained...a fresh pair of eyes/ears/hands really helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We take him on a walk/run almost everyday. We have teeanagers that play ball with him. Tucker (our dog) favorite game is to hide his treat or toys and for him to sniff them out. The only thing we havent done is obedience training. This is my next step. Any suggestions on were to find someone that is good? I thought about calling my vet. I am really at a loss with the situation. Tucker (dog) is a big sweet heart otherwise, he is a great dog and loves his family. I think the biting may have something to do with territorial issues, maybe because of him being a shelter pup???? Just a thought???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts