Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first post here, but I've been reading and learning a lot from this forum for a while now - and I really appreciate all I've learned from the members here!

I'm not a first time dog owner, but I feel like it. A lot of my family and friends have had dogs I've been around, plus I had a dog years ago. I thought I understood dogs and knew what I was doing, but I'm finding out that I know nothing!

My other dog, Alex (I still miss him so much!), was a border collie who was given away because neither of his parents were good sheep herders, at least that is what I was told. I just kind of acquired him (long story) and he was just great!

On Valentine's day we got an 8 week old Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix. From what we've been told, her parents worked on a farm and weren't meant to have babies together, so they weren't kept.

Now, I know herding breeds can be difficult - maybe I was just spoiled because Alex was so sweet - or because he really wasn't much of a herder! I also took over care of him when he was still less than a year old, but much older that 8 weeks! I feel like I am already having problems with her - but I'll start a thread in another section about that.

What is going well is her crate training! It took us a few days to figure it out. We ended up sitting her crate next to my side of the bed, with the front opening facing me ( the sides are mostly closed in). We had to move around some furniture to do it. The first night she cried for around 15 - 20 minutes. My husband just put on headphones and watched TV. The following night she only cried 5-10 minutes. Within a couple of days - no crying and she was even able to last 8 hours in the crate and we were able to get some sleep!

It hasn't helped that in these 2.5 weeks, she's had ear mites, kennel cough and just today we found out she has giardia and another parasite I forget the name of. No actual diarrhea though, which helps.

The problems with her are her biteyness on hands, etc. as well as on pant legs and just general over excitability. House breaking? We're doing our best, but that's a lower priority at the moment.

Oh, and she has two older cat brothers who are amused but still not quite sure what to think of her. And 4 hermit crab brothers/sisters/who knows - which I rarely get the chance to actually see.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Your dog is so beautiful! I feel like hugging him
Welcome to DF!:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I forgot to mention too that she has two different colored eyes. One is blue and the other is mostly brown with a little bit of blue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts