Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sammy my big boy came from Rescue in Mississippi. He looks like a lab retriever for the most part but is definitely too large to be a pure bred. He is 110 lbs and is very tall. It looks like he may have some Great Dane, or hound (his ears are a bit longer than the typical lab and the top line is more curved than a lab). When he walks, his hind quarter twists - as if he is wearing high heels! LOL!

If you can help me identify his mix, that would be great. Anyhow, I am so glad to have found this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Hello and welcome! Thank you for rescuing. :) No real guesses here ... but he sure is handsome!

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
We had a black lab who was 115-pounds at his fighting weight. (Just an expression.) I had several lab breeders tell me he was likely a poorly-bred field lab, but not a mix. We'll never know for sure, but he was the best dog I've ever had or ever will have.

My point is, there are some huge labs out there that don't exactly conform to the breed standards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I am so glad I found this forum.

Yes, my Sammy is no question a very good boy. I am so grateful for having found him. Interestingly, contrary to what they say about labs, Sammy never chews or damages anything, never steals food unless it is given to him. He has not yet had one single accident at home. Totally amazing!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sammy is a very handsome boy. Honey was my first dog. She was a yellow lab and the best dog I ever had. She was probably mixed with something but it never matterred to me. She was all Lab to me. She was small for a lab. I miss her. I am so happy you 2 have each other. He sounds wonderful. Through him a tennis ball for honeys behalf.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome ;). I have a Lab mix myself, except mine is med-size & looks nothing like a lab. Guess he is a bit too watered down (Lab x Poodle x Something else). Anyway your dog looks like the typical lab and it certainly could of fooled me :).
He is super cute!

·
Registered
591 Posts
My lab Lucifer is a purebred black lab and weighs in at 92 lbs and is 3 years old. He was also a rescue and was totally out of control when I got him but with alot of work he has turned into a wonderful dog ! At first I would of sworn he was part great dane he is so big but he is just a large lab though he thinks he is a poodle. Your guy is very handsome, thanks for rescuing !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts