Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I need to get caught up and introduce myself on these forums. I found DF on Saturday morning at about 3:00 A.M. after my dog Diva got attacked at the dog park. I immediately fell in love with this place, I use several forums for action sports, home improvement, automotive fabrication, etc, but never really had too much of a reason to join one on account of my dog.

I generally try to lurk a forum and only respond to "give back." I'm feeling that I can contribute and help a few people out.

About Diva

She is a female shar-pei that is fixed, pure bloodlines, good health(no eye surgeries!) and is a wonderful dog. Diva makes friends everywhere she goes. I really like to socialize her and she also goes on as many trips and errands with me as possible. She hates to swim but likes to hang out with friends on the boat, likes to travel and will jump at any opportunity to "go for a ride" wether it's to the post office or for 10 hours in the car, she even gets to explore the desert when we go out of town for off-roading and camping weekends.

I picked Diva to be my very first pet because my girlfriend at the time had a Male Shar-pei who was a pretty cool little dog. He didn't have the total shar-pei wrinkle look, more like that guy ALF from the '80s TV show. That dog was staying with me since it was larger than her appartment allowed and I knew he would be going into a new Condo sooner or later. I really enjoyed having a dog around the house, he was quite a good "test drive" to see if I was really commited. I brought Diva home Nov. 1 2005, she was adorable but grew up way too quick. She's still small though at 35 lbs and tons of wrinkles, many people think she is still a puppy.

Now the irresponsible part. Diva and the male were not fixed yet, so we seperated them for heat. When Diva was a year old the good ol' ex decided that diaper just looked like it was causing a rash one day when she stopped by to check on her. Just like any teenage pregnancy, this was hidden from me, it was just once so there should be no chance of getting pregnant right? Well, much to my disappointment, I found out with 3 1/2 weeks to prepare that I was going to be owning a litter of AKC purebred shar-pei puppies. I did not consider terminating the pregnancy but felt like I was another irresponsible pet owner. I immediately did as much research as possible and litereally transformed one room of my house into a "puppy nursury"

Diva had 5 pups in 2006, 3 blue, 2 tan, only one girl who was blue. I found 5 owners by week 5 and 3 of the owners had owned a shar-pei in the past. It was the best excuse to leave my job that I was considering leaving and spent 8 weeks raising these dogs. I still keep in touch with some of the dog's owners even though 2 of them were shipped 1,000 miles away to friends of friends.

Other than that we live the good life, lots of hiking, sleeping, trips to the bark park and I try to travel with Diva whenever I leave town. She's logged several miles in the car when I worked a job on the road as an account rep making those nights away from home all that much better at the pet friendly La Quintas.

She experiences the common issues in shar-pei's with ear infections and skin upkeep, but otherwise she's been fortunate. No eye surgery or anything, nor did any of her pups so I feel I raised a healthy batch of well behaved dogs and found them loving families.

There is a pretty nasty thread about Diva getting attacked at the dog park and this forum has really helped me cope with this. If anything I just needed to get it off my chest and there is so many good people here to listen and help. I hope I can be of assistance to some as well in the future.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Dan: I've been following your other thread. Sounds like you and Diva have a great life together. Keep us posted and post some picture of her when she was a pup. They are so cute with all those wrinkles everywhere. And welcome to DF. It's a great place to be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well I did mention that Diva was fixed after she nursed the puppies but I didn't say much more than that. I know a lot of people develop an opinion about irresponsible breeding and I must admit, I gave responsibility to someone who I now realize should not have had this responsibility. I didn't mention my new fiance, who absolutely loves Diva, more than me I think. This little wrinkle bomb of a dog looks like a stuffed animal who would lay around all day, but she can outrun and outhike either of us.

The puppies were pretty dang cute.
Diva at a young age
Diva the day I brought her home.
Diva and her buddy
4 of the 5 puppies

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts