Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

New member here. I came here looking to get some emotional support. None of my real life friends or family seem to say anything that makes me feel any better.

My 11 yo Corgi has an oral malignant melanoma.

Short story is: We have an appointment with a veterinary oncologist this week, but I am having difficulty coping with the news.

Longer story: For about 5-6 years, my Corgi had a small lump on her paw. It didn't seem to bother her, so I left it alone. A few months ago I became concerned because it was noticeably larger and changed color, so I brought her to the vet who suggested it was just a benign mass. We had the surgery to remove and biopsy it anyway, because it was large enough that the vet may not have been able to easily close the wound if it got any larger. While she was unconscious to have the mass removed, we also decided to have her teeth cleaned. During the teeth cleaning, my vet noticed a tumor inside her mouth in proximity to a lymph node. The bad news: the biopsy found it to be a malignant melanoma. The good news: the X-ray showed it hasn't yet invaded the bone.

So, we have an appointment with an oncologist next week and I've been reading up on the potential treatments, including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and immunotherapy. And while I've been doing this, I can't shake the thought that I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars to buy her an extra few months of potential metastases and additional surgeries when she's already 11 years old. But, right now, once she's done recovering from the mass they removed from her paw, she is otherwise happy and healthy and normal, energetic as a puppy with just a touch of arthritis.

All that my friends and family seem able to say is "so sorry." Which I appreciate, but it's not helpful. I don't want to give up on her prematurely, but I don't want her to suffer, and I don't feel like I have anyone to talk to about how to make decisions like this.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I know how you feel, I've had four dogs with cancer. It is a long journey through the treatment. I can't say what your choice should be, but things to consider are the dogs quality of life during this, are they in pain, do they recognize you, etc. It's a difficult choice, thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I just got word from the oncologist that it has already started to metastasize to her lungs. So we are foregoing all surgery and radiation therapy and starting chemotherapy treatments today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts