Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I rescued a tiny 5 lb toy poodle yesterday. He was taken from a bad puppy mill that was closed down. The guess is that he is 5 to 7 years old. Very scared, shy and quiet. I got him at 10 am yesterday and have not heard him bark yet. I'm an active senior so this is the perfect sized dog for me, but I am unsure how to get him comfortable. He is not food motivated at all. Hardly eats, and does not yet like any treat he has been offered. But he is so sweet, and I need the motivation to get up and go. Here's hoping it is a success. I'm glad I found this forum.

·
Super Moderator
11,840 Posts
Some things will just take time and patience.

The best dog I ever had was horribly abused (beaten to unconsciousness on numerous occasions) before he was rescued/stolen by good citizen and patiently rehabbed over a period of many months.

By the time he came to live with us, there was almost no sign that this dog had ever had a bad day in his life.

Thank you for giving this dog a second chance. You will be rewarded in so many ways.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwwe ..... This is all new and scary for the little guy! Thank you so much for rescuing him. :) If he were mine ... this is what I would do ........

I would just allow him to adjust ... which can take some time. I would offer him plenty of love and snuggles if he likes it ... offer him warmth and closeness and food and water... maybe a treat or two. Speak to him softly and touch him gently.

I would not rush into any doggie walking just yet ...... not out of your yard. I would be sure he sees a vet to be sure he is up to date on his vaccines first.

Take him out to potty on a leash so he does not try to run off from fright or not being trained recall. Maybe a harness would be good so he does not injure his throat if he gets scared and tries to run!

I personally would allow him to become familiar with you and your quarters. I'll bet he will begin to come around in a few days. He sounds like a wonderful little guy ....

I do not know if you are using a crate or not. I would personally allow him to be as free as possible ... within reason during the day ... but with you and not alone. The poor baby probably does not know what freedom is ... and this can be very scary!

Keep him close so he has no potty accidents or chews electrical chords ... or other articles which can become choking hazards or anything toxic. I would crate him at night beside my bed.

I sure hope for some pictures of the little one too! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advice. I know it will all work out, but I've never had a dog that was not even willing to take a taste of cheese or hot dog. He is really cute, and I do believe he is scared silly, but today is better than yesterday. I left him for two hours (in his crate) and I do think he was glad to see me when I got home. But for such a small dog, he does not seem to need to do his business very often. I've been taking him out every 2 to 3 hours during the day, and after a 7 hr night. He is not eager to go, but eventually will lift his leg. Only once has he done the other, and that was this am. I guess I expected he would need potty breaks closer, but maybe not. He whimpered last night a bit in his crate, but has not once barked. Strange. Since I live in a condo that could be a blessing. Oh, and I've choosen a new name for him. Smokey. My sweet Sailor, a 15lb mini poodle passed to the Rainbow Bridge in 2011. Since then I've gained 17 lbs (stopped smoking too) and so Smokey may rescue me! Thanks for the advice, and I welcome any and all ticks, treats or help with this tiny new pal.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss of Sailor.

It sounds as if things are getting better a bit at a time. The name 'Smokey" is a very nice one. I am sure he will rescue you .... as you did him. :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Congrats !! and BLESS YOU for rescueing Smokey !! Sounds like he is also rescueing you ! It will take time for him to settle in and get past what has happened in his past but with alot of love and patience he will be the best dog you have ever had. I believe dogs KNOW when they have been "rescued " and love you a little bit more for saving them from whatever horrible things that were done to them ! A soft voice and gentle touch will help him begin to trust you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, one week down, and I'm still a bit chagrined that Smokey's progress has been very slow. I do think he is somewhat calmer, but he does not give kisses or come to me. Eating is not yet enjoyable for him, and he will not take any treats from my hand. I know it is all new to him, and I guess that is the best way to describe him, he is like a newborn. He will play a bit with a small stuffed toy if I'm on the floor with him. And tonight he seemed to ask to get up on the big bed where I was, but when I bent down he ran away. I got him, and he is fast asleep next to me. I'm hoping that time will ease his fears and that he will start eating better and take some treats from my hand. Hard to motivate and train a non treat dog. Thanks for all the advice

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Well, one week down, and I'm still a bit chagrined that Smokey's progress has been very slow. I do think he is somewhat calmer, but he does not give kisses or come to me. Eating is not yet enjoyable for him, and he will not take any treats from my hand. I know it is all new to him, and I guess that is the best way to describe him, he is like a newborn. He will play a bit with a small stuffed toy if I'm on the floor with him. And tonight he seemed to ask to get up on the big bed where I was, but when I bent down he ran away. I got him, and he is fast asleep next to me. I'm hoping that time will ease his fears and that he will start eating better and take some treats from my hand. Hard to motivate and train a non treat dog. Thanks for all the advice
He might not be non-food motivated, he might just not be comfortable enough to eat or take things from you. Elsa, the gal I am currently rehabbing, took a few months before she would eat things in front of me or from my hands. She spent a long time unsure of what to think of me, and now she will chase me, leap on the couch, kiss, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I Googled training puppy mill dogs, and got a wealth of info. I wish our humane society had given me this info when we came home, I feel I made a few mistakes, but none that will last forever. I got him to take a bacon bite today! I now feel we are on our way to start some small training. Now I have another question. As part of his adoption fee ($250) he was vetted, neutered, tested for heartworm, and parasites and given his shots and rabies. He will need a dental, but I will have to do that. The Humane Society is trying to arrange a lower cost for that But they use a different vet than I used before. Should I take him to my vet anyway? I am a senior, so $$ matter, but on the other hand if there is something terribly wrong with him I need to know now. I also want to microchip him. But that can wait a bit, as could a vet visit. What do you all think?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts