Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am owner to a beautiful Wheaten Terrier pup (aged almost 11 weeks). I have never owned a dog before so house training her is quite a challenge (much more involved than I every expected and I have 2 young kids!) so I am hoping my new forum buddies will be able to offer pearls of wisdom....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am owner to a beautiful Wheaten Terrier pup (aged almost 11 weeks). I have never owned a dog before so house training her is quite a challenge (much more involved than I every expected and I have 2 young kids!) so I am hoping my new forum buddies will be able to offer pearls of wisdom....
You have my sympathies! I've been there, done that, in a fully carpeted house! The topic has been discussed many times over here. A quick search should yield lots to read.

Two years ago, I took home my first puppy, and I found the house training very frustrating. It is often not a linear progression either. There are ups and downs. Just when I though things were getting good, the frequency of accidents would increase again.

The biggest mistake I made was not working on having the dog signal when it needed to go out. As the dog became an adult, it could physically hold it in for reasonable amounts of time, but it did not know how to ask to go outside. So, as long as we let her out at acceptable intervals, everything was fine. However, if we forgot, or got distracted, the dog would go to the basement (a space we don't hang out in), and eliminate there. We found this frustrating, because the dog knew outside was the right place to do its business. Once we made a focused effort to teach the dog a signal (like scratch at the door), to request to go outside to relieve itself, things were great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts