Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and a proud new owner of an almost 3 month old Shih Tzu puppy! Looking for some advice on how to help him with separation anxiety. Can anyone help? We have tried the crate..which he will play in, sleep in and just lounge in with no issues. But as soon as we head out the door he goes into full on panic mode. I would prefer not to medicate so I am hoping that someone can give me some advice. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Hello and welcome! There is a great deal of info in the training forum too! :) ... along with good advice from many on the forum. I am new to crating, not new to dogs ... cannot be of a great deal of help with crate training to you though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had dogs growing up and never experienced one that had what I believe to be SA..makes me worry for the little guy because thats an awful lot of stress to be going through at least two times a day. I was just wondering if its because hes so young or if its a definate cause for worry.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I had dogs growing up and never experienced one that had what I believe to be SA..makes me worry for the little guy because thats an awful lot of stress to be going through at least two times a day. I was just wondering if its because hes so young or if its a definate cause for worry.
My largest dog Abbylynn has SA ... to the point that she broke out of her crate twice injuring a leg and had her entire teeth and jaw stuck in the metal bars twice. I had to supply her with a safe room. She ate the door frame. I now have to just leave her loose in the house when I leave. She is fine and has no more issues. She has claustrophobia I think? :/

I however would not know about your little one because it is so young. My dog was a 5 month old rescue and she started this at the age of around 9-10 months old ... even though I properly crate trained her. Something must have scared her while I was gone? I will never know ... as she was fine before that.

Someone with more experience may chime in ........ :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He broke out of his crate a few times too. We have gone to leaving him in a baby gated area while we leave and knows as we walk that its where we are headed. I do have to say that in the past few days he has calmed a bit more. His face is no longer soaking wet when I get to him, and he calms down much faster..appetite increased. All around just gives me more hope that he is feeling safe and secure and knows that we will be back.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am so glad to hear you have made some progress. :) It is terribly disturbing as to not being able to help your dog! It also disturbing when your dog harms itself.

Something must be working. It sounds as if he is adjusting to your schedule. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts