Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New owner and a lot of questions!

Hi there.

I'm a new puppy owner of a miniature australian shepherd. I've had him for about almost a week now. He's eight weeks and a half. So far, there obviously has been hits and misses with him. I've been working on his housetraining, biting/chewing and barking when left alone (separation anxiety?).

However, I found out that he had lice on the second day with me. I've brought him to the vet and he is on Revolution now. I'm transitioning his food, too. But today, he started having diarrhoea. I panicked a little because his stool has been fine before. I feed him a little warmed goat milk once a day because he wasn't eating as much as he should, but I've stopped giving him goat's milk. I will be fasting him for 12 hours to settle his stomach and then start giving him small portions of boiled rice. If he accepts the rice then I'll add bits of pumpkin or sweet potato to help harden his stool. He isn't dehydrated and I hope it stays that way.

There seems to be a lot of factors here, should I continue with what I'm doing or am I doing anything wrong? He's still adjusting to the new environment so I'm afraid that all of this is overwhelming him. Is it?

Also! Is it a must for puppies/dogs to go for obedience training? I would love to be training him on my own. I know that it's highly recommended but is it okay if I train him on my own?

Thanks for reading and responding (if you do) in advance.

EDIT: He seems to be pooping logs now but they're still soft. I feed him oatmeal with boiled chicken stock. I add a couple of pieces of chicken in there if he seems to be responding well. Maybe it was stress? :|

Jacinda.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: New owner and a lot of questions!

The loose stool I bet any money is from the transition from one dog food to another, the rule of thumb on that is to get what ever he was eating before then start half and half then move your way to less and less over time roughly 10 days or so. We were feeding our little guy Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice, well he was having major gas at night and his stools were lose to, were are going through a transition period to Blue Buffalo Lamb and Oatmeal and so far no runny stools as I can tell.

Now I only feed him Carrots from the fridge no other human food some of those foods might be upsetting his tummy maybe back off and try only dog food canned or dry, or see what the vet says.

I said to my wife I wanted to take him to obedience training but since we had our little guy he is sharp as a tack Aussies are very smart dogs and pick up tricks and commands very quickly try it by yourself first if that doesn't work then yea move on to taking him some where. We cage him up to at night and while we are at work at night when he was really young he yelped and barked all night long and no lie the second we did the radio and a blanket over his cage and he stopped everything not a peep. Now he's going on 6 months we just lay the blanket over the cage gives him the feeling he is safe in a "Cave" style no one can hurt him and no sounds through the night he loves his cage he will lay in it while we are on the computer and when my wife comes to bed he knows what time it is and get's in there to go to sleep.

A few things since having my first Aussie I noticed that 1. He LOVES to jump ALL the time nip that in the butt because it's getting old really quick. 2. Aussies are skittish dogs they need a lot of Human and Dog interaction. 3. They love to have something to do our little guy at night while we are watching TV paces back and forth because he's bored so "Brain Toys" and bones go a long way. 4. Just like kids puppy puppy puppy proof the house we left him in the bathroom and he chewed through our water line to the toilet everyone says if you don't give the Aussies a job or something to do he will find something to do. 5. They don't nickname these dogs Velcro Dogs for nothing they are attached at your hip every min when we first got our little guy he would join us in the bathroom every time since then we trained him to sit outside the door and wait. 6. They are very very bright and smart dogs they are like humans they want to know what is going on every min they will watch every move you make, our little guy will sit at our front door and watch the outside for hours on end.

They are awesome dogs that love to be around you every min of the day you will love your little guy!

Good luck and I hope my information helps you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for your reply! I'm in class now so I'll read through it more thoroughly after class. The pictures should be up now! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank you! Yeah, his eyes are one brown and the other blue. Minis get about 15 - 20 inches tall but I think he's gonna be about 18 inches maybe? He's pretty big now at 10 weeks.

Also, regarding your post, yeah, I think the loose stool may just be a combination of everything. Coming into a new environment, food transitions, new people, stuff like that. He doesn't have diarrhoea any more but I'm still continuing with the rice to and start re-introducing kibble to him slowly.

Nauk does what Dexter does to. I never let him into my bathroom without supervision (just because of the soaps and stuff in there). I've been training him on his basic commands and walking properly on the leash. I'd have to say that he's progressing really well. I do stairs with him when it's snowing too heavily or really cold rain.

He is starting to growl and bite. I don't know if it's puppy play or a peep into aggression. I correct him straight away. Sometimes I put him on his side and just hover over him until he relaxes. I can tell though that he has yet to learn his place in my pack. He likes to challenge us but it's okay. That way he gets to learn that he isn't the pack leader. I started the bite inhibition thing too. Sometimes I don't pull my hand away but actually let him nibble/gnaw a bit but I tell him no until he softens his bites and eventually lick instead.

Thanks for you reply, too. Your reply has been really informational. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts