Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up today after lurking for several days while my wife and I sought out a new dog to join our family.

We both agreed that we wanted to rescue a young dog, and found a match with a private rescue after a few heart breaking visits to some New York City municipal kill-shelters.

It was very sad to see so many pit bulls on death row. There was one female dog we liked but we are not permitted this breed in our building. I spent a few sleepless nights thinking of flaunting the rule, but in the end did another search and found a whippet boxer mix in foster, that was rescued from the very shelters we had visited!

Yesterday, we met the rescue folks and they decided we would make a great home for the dog, who has had a rough time until now. He's a healthy year and half old all white whippet boxer we've named "Noggin." I hadn't realized just how mellow whippet dogs are! He's obviously adjusting but is very sweet, quiet, house trained, crate trained and is finally in a forever home.

He was found stray in the Bronx and was on the 5 day euthanasia list when the rescue took him in. He's still quite thin, both from his whippet heritage, life in the streets and lastly a bout of giardia, which he's over now.

So just wanted to introduce ourselves. Time to search for a way to get his white fur clean from his poop from the giardia! We tried a whitening shampoo this morning but not that clean yet. Trimmed his nails a bit which went very smooth.

He's a bit rough on the leash but improving. A real blank canvas on the manners, but he's eager to please, and sooo mellow and sensitive!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Awwwe ... congratulations and thanks for rescuing ... your dog will thank you many times over for the new lease on life! :) Also looking forward to pictures.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He looks a little pitbull, but he has the under bite of a boxer. If you did a morph between the two, I could see this guy being the result! Of course, who knows what he really is?
The whippet part is pretty obvious! He still needs to put a few pounds on.

Noggin 1
Noggin 2

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
He's beautiful; just a tad on the thin side! Of course, with the wippet in him, he'll probably always be a little on the slender side, but that's okay. Boxers should also be on the thin side if they're of a healthy weight. Congratulations!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just checking back here. We've had Noggin for just over a year. He's coming along great! Thankfully, he is living up to his name and has about 40 commands so far to his credit! He still pulls his leash, and wants to greet every dog he meets with a little too much energy but has been making great progress.

His loose leash is much much improved, but I must say, it can take a lot longer than you may expect!

Here's a picture of him 8lbs heavier!
Noggin Day one and Day 360!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I couldnt get your update to open (sad).... But am thrilled to hear he is working out well in you home-- he sounds like a great match for you guys and that he is enjoying life in the City!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts