Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.
I'm Penny :wave:

I have three dogs,
Two of them, Ringo and Snickers, Passed away.
Ringo was a BEAUTIFUL German Shepard, but we sadly lost all the pics of him.
:(
and Snickers was a biggg brown lab who passes away last summer.
AND THEN THERE'S HAPPY.
My four week old Black lab/Irish setter mix.

I also have three cats and 3 turtles.
Cats;
Emma
Snitch
Mini

Turtles;
Squirty
Misty
Zack

Well I look forward to getting to know you all.
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
D

Welcome to the fold. I see you've already jumped on the bandwagon with your "cutest puppy" challenge. I saw your pics--no contest, so I won't try, but welcome just the same.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Welcome!

I do have to say that I'm somewhat concerned that you have a 4-week-old puppy without its mother. That's much too young for a pup to leave the litter, and I would be worried about having such a baby puppy. Though I will say that in the pics, she does look older than that. . .maybe 6 or 7 weeks. She's adorable! How did you get her?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well we were assuming since she wasn't quite weened.
:p

My Aunt and Uncle were at wal mart, and this lady was giving the puppies away for free.
And I guess she had gotten them shots, because she hasn't had a single worm.
And they just picked her up and brought her straight to us.
:D

OK I talked with my parents and they think she's around 3 months.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Shots don't do anything for worms. They prevent viruses such as distemper and parvovirus. Even if the lady that had her before gave her the first shots, she'll still need 2 more rounds to be fully protected. Ask your vet when he thinks she should have them. And even if you don't see worms, she could still have some. Puppies almost always have worms, and they should be de-wormed regularly. Again, ask the vet which de-wormer is best for her, and how often to give it. Parvo and distemper are terrible diseases, you definitely want to protect her from those. And worms can prevent puppies from growing properly, so that's why de-worming is important.

Well, 3 months old is certainly better than 4 weeks! I'm glad to hear that. Puppies who are taken away from their mother too young frequently have issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol another nooby mistake of mine.

we're gonna be taking her to the vet soon to get her de-wormed and get shots/etc

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
That puppy does not look 3 months, either. She looks more like 2 @ 8 weeks.

At less than 6 weeks, shots would have severly hurt a puppy. I can't imagine she was that young when you got her, either.

Like Willowy said, puppies need 3 sets of shots after 8 weeks of age, and cannot be on the ground in pubic before then for risk of parvo. Puppies need to be dewormed with every set of shots because most puppies do get/have worms. You can't see these until they're being dewormed.

Good luck with the puppy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts