Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

We're in San Antonio, and our little friend is Jack. First post, wish it was for a good thing. We picked up a puppy, about 6 months old, from one of the local kill shelters the Thursday before last. We adopted him the day we met him, as he was supposed to be euthanized the next morning. They kept him 2 days to neuter him and vaccinate him. He's supposed to be a shepherd/staffordshire terrier mix, weighs about 30 lbs. He is thin, you can see his ribs and hip bones, and we are trying to get him to put on some weight, he normally eats well, but vomits occasionally (his whole meal). We have him on kibble, Purina One puppy chow, about 2/3 cup twice a day. He always has water available, and gets several small treats throughout the day, as we are potty- and other training him.

The issues- He doesn't always want his treat, sometimes he turns it down. He has come close to having solid stools, but tends more towards pudding. I've tried pumpkin, he refuses to eat it, even mixed with his kibble. In the mornings when I get home from work, when I take him out he tends to vomit white froth, I think I read that could be from hunger.
On to last night, and this morning: He has picked up a cough, a little bit of a runny nose, and I noticed some bright blood in his stool. Not much, and mixed in, but there nonetheless. He had pooped in his kennel last night/this morning (I was at work, wife and kids were sleeping). No blood in that, and I hadn't seen any previous to this morning.

He was neutered 9 days ago, so the first couple days we chalked the diarrhea up to recovery from the anesthesia, but I'm not so sure anymore. He is not dehydrated, no turgidity in his skin. Following his bath, he is a bundle of energy, and for the past week he has steadily gotten more and more rambunctious. He was doing a lot of lying down the first few days, resting from neutership, I assume. He is well-mannered, smart, seems considerate and loving.

Vaccinations we know he has had:
BORD/ADEN/PAR
DHPP
These were given on 25 May. We picked him up on 31 May.

The shelter gave us a form that says they recently took in several litters of puppies who were critically ill, with Parvo.

So I don't get flamed for my first post, we are going to take him to the vet, if the below does not help. More than likely Wednesday or Thursday, since he is not dehydrated, nor is he acting ill or lethargic. We are fasting him today, and going to do the chicken and rice thing tomorrow and for the next few days.

We are looking for advice on what it could be. He's vaccinated against distemper, parvo, bordatella, and whatever else the above listed vaccines cover. I read some of the vaccinations take a little bit to take hold, but the distemper shot is supposed to work in seconds to minutes from what I read.

Thank you for your time and knowledge, and here's hoping he's not seriously ill. He's a great dog, and turning into a fine friend.

Tony

·
Registered
891 Posts
He needs to go to the vet immediately. Blood in the stool is not normal & should be addressed by a vet. Try to take a stool sample with you. If it's Parvo, you may not have until Wednesday or Thursday.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Not all vaccinations "take". That could be parvo and if it is, he needs to see a vet now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.