Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

my name is kyle and i currently live with my girlfriend laurie. we have been living together for 3 years now and have been dating for 5!!!! i spent my whole life with a dog, i was born into a house with an american rednose pitbull (a big teddy bear) and when he passed away my parents adopted a german shepard and then a husky. my girlfriend (laurie) has also had sevral dogs and grew up around animals. we both love animals, nature, and dogs!!!

ok so our dilemma is that we have been wanting a jack russell for a while now and the owner of our condo just accepted that we get one!!!! the problem is we are both full time students (laurie is in med school and i am a futur paramedic) so we are gone during the day. we are ready and willing to spend at least 1h45 of activity with our jack every day once we get back from school (walk, run, frisbee, ball..fun) and will let him/her out in the morning before leaving. we have weekends off and will have alot of fun with our jack on weekends. SHOULD WE GET A DOG OR NOT??? we are scared that if we raise a dog that it will be lonly and un exersised, so we are in the middle of a BIG DILEMMA!!!

thank you for your imput!!! it is appreciated

·
Registered
261 Posts
Weekend exercise is probably not enough for a dog, especially a JRT. I get the feeling you're asking this question with the "right" answer already in mind, but I'll go ahead and respond anyway. It is possible to have a dog while being a full time student. Lots of people get dogs while working full time. It is a matter of giving the dog proper mental and physical exercise on a daily basis. A long walk in the morning should help the dog be okay with staying in for a couple of hours while you're at school and it would be good for the dog to have lots of free play time when you are back for work. You would need to think about a safe place to have to dog in the day and whether or not you want to crate train so the dog is not a danger to himself or yourself if he gets bored while you're away. An adult dog would be more suitable in your situation, because with a puppy you'd need to come home a few times in the day and work on house training.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Just remember that exercise is key, with any dog, but with this breed especially. If they get bored, they'll go nuts, and soon you'll have neighbor's knocking on your door about barking.
Being full time students, I think money is your biggest concern. Dogs are a lot of responsibility financially. Once you factor in food, toys, vet bills, etc. you're looking at a major bill. Then god forbid an emergency happen.
Seriously consider if you truly have the time and money for this dog. Daily exercise, training and grooming. Vet expenses, food, leashes, collars, toys, etc.

If after it all you've decided you can handle it, then go get yourself a dog. Because of your living situation, I would strongly suggest an adult dog so that you already know their temperament, habits and energy level. This will help you out a lot.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
When are you done with school entirely? I'd personally probably think it best to wait til you have your careers in place (assuming you're in college) before getting the JRT.
Are you wanting a puppy or an adult?
For a puppy I would definitely recommend waiting a bit longer, for an adult you may have better luck, but jacks are energetic dogs and they do get barky if left alone for long stretches of time. The last thing you need is a mailbox full of noise complaints.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
IF you guys have a plan for how to keep dog occupied for the hours you are not home (ie dog walker who takes the dog for a couple hours daily? By the time the typical dog walkers picks up his load of dogs on his route, gets to the park and walks, and then drops everyone off back home, thats a nice chunk of time), or if you are students maybe network with another student to get an affordable dogwalker?
With a JRT I would be concerned with long hours home alone, espec if dog is new to you or young....
And as long as you have a financial plan as well....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone!!! financially we are ok and we would not get an adult dog... realistically we still need to think about it before making a decision "officially"!!! the idea of a dogwalker is new to me and we find it interesting thanks.
your comments are very helpful

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
A puppy is not for you.
Being gone all day, living in a condo, you're going to have a VERY rough time house training a puppy, that needs to be going to the bathroom ever 15-20 minutes,and that chews everything, and needs exercise but can't go walking because it needs to finish vaccinations.

An adult dog is a way better way to go. Training and exercising will be a lot easier, and so will house training, if you don't manage to find one already house trained.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree a puppy might me really hard. I am a full time student and my husband works, and we live in an apartment. I'm sure if I had signed up here on the forums before we got the pup I would've been advised to wait. And it would've been good advice. We got Kidogo at 12 weeks and were given the okay from the vet to walk him but no high dog-traffic areas. We waited the extra 4 weeks to take him home because we wanted to bring him home when we had a chance to get him settled.

We were off school/work for a week and took that time to house train him. He went out to potty every hour or so but slept through the nights. Within the next two weeks he started gaining more control of his bowel movements and could stay in with us for longer periods of time (the cold outdoors helped). Now he spends about 4-5 hours each day alone at home but gets 3 decent length walks a day and plenty of play time and some training time.

My point is it could work. It just takes a lot of physical, mental, financial and time commitment, so everyone on here is right in saying to maybe wait.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A puppy is very hard work as i am currently finding out! Me and my husband have had the whole of last week off to settle her in, housetrain etc and we ended the week totally shattered! (and my hubby is a long-distance runner lol!!) the demands of a puppy on top of college work would definitely finish me off.
Best of luck :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if its about training time, i finish school for the summer in 4 days (i will be off for 3 months) and my girlfriend finishes in a week and will be off for 2 months, she wont be working this summer as she deserves time off to relax and will spend all that time with our dog getting him/her ready for the following year

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree about getting a puppy. We have one who is now 5 mos old now and takes up a lot of time. He is a terrier mix and full of energy. I take him out at least twice a day for long walks and now we are going to dog park for playtime. Thre are a couple of Jack Russels and owners say they do not settle down for couple of years. They also will bark if left alone for to long and if you are in condo or apratment this could be a problem. Our condo is very strict about barking dogs. Sounds like you will have some time to spend with a dog so I would consider one that is older. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts