Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a canaan dog for almost 6 months now
Took him from shelter. He is about 2 yrs old male and basically everything's great.
He doesn't like showers so i forced him the first time kept the leash tight. Second time a bit easier.
Today i took him to the beach.
Again didnt like the thought of getting wet.
I forced him in pulling hard on the leash.
Then when we were at about 20" deep.
He started swimming. And it was great fun.
When i left the beach heading for the car a women said to me it was a descras the way i forced him in and that i missed behave.
I need to hear an opinion wether i behaved wrong.
I love the dog. Thank you?

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
I don't think you meant to do wrong, but no, you shouldn't force them. It can lead to more fear and them never liking it. Much better to let them take their time or maybe encourage interest with toys, food, or praise.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Most of us have done what you did at least once, but like CptJack said, unless it is a situation where they have to do something in order be safe, forcing them to do it can cause more problems than it solves. Counter conditioning can take a while, but it basically changes the dog's emotional response to what you want (or need) them to do, and makes it less scary.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yes, take it way slower. Go as close to the water as he is comfortable. Give him some really yummy treats, then take him away. Keep repeating that until you are at the water. Any time he decides he's too close to the water, and wants to move away from it, let him. Once he's comfortable being at the waters edge, see if you can't coax him to get one paw wet. Always reward him for any effort he makes to go toward the water.

Some dogs are funny, and hate to get wet one way, but have no problems getting wet another. For example, there are dogs who love to play with the water hose or sprinkler, that wouldn't walk though a puddle for anything. Some dogs love to swim, but don't like rain. Some dogs just hate getting wet, period.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the great tips i will definitely do that with treats the next time!
My goal is to bring him on a kayak

1 - 7 of 7 Posts