Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I remember reading an article on bloat, since Gordon Setters are quite deep chested and can be affected. The article quoted a university study that found raised bowls to be associated with bloat. That being said, I have also heard otherwise on the 'net, so I guess the jury is still out...

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It seems that, if you have a raised dish and your dog bloats, raised dishes cause bloat. If you have a raised dish and your dog doesn't bloat, then raised dishes prevent bloat. If you have a regular dish and your dog bloats, regular dishes cause bloat, if you have a regular dish and your dog doesn't bloat, then regular dishes prevent bloat. Just like everything else! :p

I think the reason the Purdue study found that kind of correlation is because people with bloat-prone breeds frequently used raised dishes. Or because taller dogs (who are more comfortable using a raised dish) usually have deeper chests and are more prone to bloat. But I don't think raised dishes cause bloating. Use whatever works for you and your dog.

A slow-down dish is a great solution! Hope it works and he's not hacking water all over anymore :).

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It seems that, if you have a raised dish and your dog bloats, raised dishes cause bloat. If you have a raised dish and your dog doesn't bloat, then raised dishes prevent bloat. If you have a regular dish and your dog bloats, regular dishes cause bloat, if you have a regular dish and your dog doesn't bloat, then regular dishes prevent bloat. Just like everything else! :p
Boy oh boy, words of wisdom. It's kinda also like coffee is bad whoops coffee is good, eggs are bad whoops eggs are good.

I'm on a Boxer forum and on owner mentioned that their dog has to eat from raised station because of a smaller esophagus and the food they feed is type that when soaked gets very soft. This Canidae that we feed we soak but it still retains it's shape and this morning wife left some Canidae chunks in water 30 minutes (just for kicks) and it was still hard. So this is another way to go. We do have options to try.

The good news in all this stuff is that Pierce is normal, take him outside and he gets the zoomies and acts like a maniac.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I have just been tagging along and reading this every day. Wish I could be of some help as you have helped so much with my Benny ordeal. I really know nothing about it. I was googling up why dogs would regurgitate ( not vomit; as I learned it is two different symptoms of possible illnesses ... etc) their water to see what I could learn. It did talk much about the esophagus. I hope you find what works! Glad Pierce is normal otherwise! Wishing him well. :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts