Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curiously I ask, does anybody raise food or water pans and if so, why and if there was a problem did it help. I have never used that system before but may try it as "the Pierce" does some regurgitating of water when done drinking. Again just something new from this dog he's more high maintenance than my wife. Just kidding on wife thing, she's still higher on maintenance list.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Curiously I ask, does anybody raise food or water pans and if so, why and if there was a problem did it help. I have never used that system before but may try it as "the Pierce" does some regurgitating of water when done drinking. Again just something new from this dog he's more high maintenance than my wife. Just kidding on wife thing, she's still higher on maintenance list.
The only time that my girls get something from a raised bowl is when they get water from a drinking fountain. I can't see any benefit to it personally.

I wonder if your dog is just drinking too fast?

The only raised bowl setups that I have ever seen that I liked were the sturdy ones that appeared to be 'tip over' proof. It is bad enough when a dog steps on the edge of one bowl and sends the contents flying across the floor but it would be a lot worse if they stepped on the side of a flimsy feeder and caused a few bowls to spill! LOL! :)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Love ours!
Not only is it cute (and i can say that because i'm a girl :D) but it stops Abe from regurgitating water and when he eats from the bowl he stays over the bowl instead of walking off a few steps to chew.
The biggest benefit to me is the cleaning. Before we had just one of those plastic bowl mat things and water would drip under it. I was drying underneath 2 times a day to stop our flooring getting moldy or ruined.

Anyway i hated all the ones in the store and i could never find one for under $60 but i found this guy on Etsy who made me this one.
You can also store stuff inside. We use it as our second toy box.

Feeder by AussieHike!, on Flickr

IMG_0304 by AussieHike!, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Even though my dog is small (don't let tell him I said that!) I give him raised food/water bowls. I've heard too much about how owners didn't raise their food/water bowls for their dogs only for their dogs to receive bloat. I'm still unsure if that could happen to a small dog, but I'm not taking any chances. Luke's food/water is raised just enough where he's fine with it and he's been fine with it.

I would recommend any type of bigger dog to have a raised food/water bowls that way they won't bloat.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The only time that my girls get something from a raised bowl is when they get water from a drinking fountain. I can't see any benefit to it personally.

I wonder if your dog is just drinking too fast?

The only raised bowl setups that I have ever seen that I liked were the sturdy ones that appeared to be 'tip over' proof. It is bad enough when a dog steps on the edge of one bowl and sends the contents flying across the floor but it would be a lot worse if they stepped on the side of a flimsy feeder and caused a few bowls to spill! LOL! :)
Well this is a nice setup probably 10 yrs old and it don't tip and you are probably right about the drinking too fast, never dealt with a dog that had this problem as none of our in home dogs did. I purchased this for Shepherd just trying to prevent possible bloat problems and he never did, but do not know if it was from the setup or not.

I figured somebody on DF might have had experience with raised pans. I will publish results.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Love ours!
Not only is it cute (and i can say that because i'm a girl :D) but it stops Abe from regurgitating water and when he eats from the bowl he stays over the bowl instead of walking off a few steps to chew.
The biggest benefit to me is the cleaning. Before we had just one of those plastic bowl mat things and water would drip under it. I was drying underneath 2 times a day to stop our flooring getting moldy or ruined.

Anyway i hated all the ones in the store and i could never find one for under $60 but i found this guy on Etsy who made me this one.
You can also store stuff inside. We use it as our second toy box.

Feeder by AussieHike!, on Flickr

IMG_0304 by AussieHike!, on Flickr
That was way above and beyond cool... THAT was a piece of artwork. :wave:

·
Registered
472 Posts
My dog's food/water bowl is slightly raised via a Neater Feeder. It's not all that high above the ground, but it does help to contain the mess she makes when she eats and drinks. She also likes to splash her paw in her water bowl, and the Neater Feeder contains the water in a pan underneath.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well another side heard from I googled Purdue University Dog Bloat study and they absolutely are against raising pans.

Of course sometimes I wonder about university studies etc, years ago I use to get a newsletter from Cornell and one of the things they advised is that dog owners should clean the feces at least once a week. Now somebody reading that might get the idea that once a week would be sufficient.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always fed my Dane from a raised feeder. For us it was more a comfort thing since he was a giant breed. It was just easier for him to eat from an elevated bown than from the floor.
I'm not gonna advise not feeding your Dane, in fact I'm going to keep our food/water pans higher as it won't take very long to check progress.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
I don't raise the water bowl for my Lab, and he guzzles. Also, sometimes he will lie down to eat his food.

On the other hand, when I give him water from the faucet, he regurgitates about a tablespoon if I turn the water on too quickly. Too quickly is defined by him drinking and regurgitating... :) [It is more a choke or cough rather than a regurgitate]

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't raise the water bowl for my Lab, and he guzzles. Also, sometimes he will lie down to eat his food.

On the other hand, when I give him water from the faucet, he regurgitates about a tablespoon if I turn the water on too quickly. Too quickly is defined by him drinking and regurgitating... :) [It is more a choke or cough rather than a regurgitate]
Well the problem is each dog is an individual and quite frankly, I never had a dog of ours with this particular problem, each day doing/owning/working with dogs is an adventure. He*l I've never had a dog I was training have this problem. To be fair though a dog in the kennel could have this and not even been noticed.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Poca's mother died of bloat at age 3. We did a lot of research on it and consulted vets. There didn't seem to be any consensus on the raised feeder question -- it was about 50-50. So we still use a raised feeder for water & wet food (she eats kibble laying down off a mat).

We like this one because it has storage in the bottom and is good for traveling, easily cleaned. Has two heights. We keep it on a rug so there's rarely a mess around it.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Poca's mother died of bloat at age 3. We did a lot of research on it and consulted vets. There didn't seem to be any consensus on the raised feeder question -- it was about 50-50. So we still use a raised feeder for water & wet food (she eats kibble laying down off a mat).

We like this one because it has storage in the bottom and is good for traveling, easily cleaned. Has two heights. We keep it on a rug so there's rarely a mess around it.
That is same one we have, or at least same style.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is name of your dog? I very like, It is very cute. I see him on the Pet House.
His name is Pierce and he is much cuter if you are not living with him :) What is the Pet House?

Anyway an interesting update since raising pans yesterday he has had no regurgitation problem, Don't have a clue as to why but will keep on top of it and report. Since this just started a few days ago, don't really know how, why, or what. He ate last night and this morning and water intake as normal without a problem.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another update, 1:00 this afternoon we had another vomit thing so now on to Plan B, I had ordered something called a "Drink Better Water Bowl" made specifically for this vomit problem as it has a float in it which dog has to deal with while drinking. More to come.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've never used a raised pan for any dog I have ever owned..
Well it's funny when you're in a rural area some things are not up to par, The Vet that I called said yes raise the pans and I mentioned that I had read somewhere that it was not the thing to do as it actually could cause bloat etc. The good news is that I have now eliminated that raised pan deal completely from the program and am now on the "Better water Pan"

Then I have also eliminated this Vet from future dog work. As stated earlier, I googled Purdue/Bloat/raised pans and found out that the Purdue University had done a study and said not to raise pans. I would think a Vet would have been aware and not give out that kind of advice.

I got hold of a different Vet to set up an appt next week if the new pan does not help.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Then I have also eliminated this Vet from future dog work. As stated earlier, I googled Purdue/Bloat/raised pans and found out that the Purdue University had done a study and said not to raise pans. I would think a Vet would have been aware and not give out that kind of advice.

I got hold of a different Vet to set up an appt next week if the new pan does not help.
No one can say for sure what causes Bloat.. now the new trend is not to raise dishes, whereas it used to be it was an absolute must (based on studies I'm sure). I wouldn't write off a vet because of that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts