Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Heidi, my grandparents eleven year old dog - has fallen in love (friendship-wise) with a 1 year-old Pekingese named Princess Princess lives next door to my grandma & grandpa and she and Heidi touch noses across the fence ever so often and when Princess leaves Heidi whines! When I first heard this I was a bit shocked because Heidi is a bit of an agressive dog towards other animals and humans.

Mainly small animals (she killed one of my hamsters...) and children. Heidi also is uncomfortable around male dogs - such as our other Chihuahuas when they try to hump her/mount. They make her nervous and she heads for my room immdiately and she whines sometimes to not be near Bryan & George. Copper, she gets along with OK - our 16 year old mutt. But she has recently shown jealousy/agression towards him and snapped/fought several times over space, food and toys.

So, when grandma told me that Heidi had a playmate named Princess and they got along and Heidi wouldnt even EAT when Princess wasn't around - I was shocked. What's going to happen when Princess goes back to North Carolina on Sunday? How is Heidi going to deal with it? I'd rather not find out and eventually Heidi get sick from her refusing to eat - all because she cant see Princess.

I don't know what I should do! We can't take in another dog, but she loves that dog apparently?! She feels comfortable and happy around Princess so should I tell the neighbors more about my concerns and see if they and I can come up with a solution? I'll talk to my parents about it, and I want to see if Heidi will do any better at my house before Sunday comes but I want to also see if I can meet the neighbor's sister-in-law before Sunday so that way if somehow.. We can arrange something with Heidi and Princess.

I highly doubt that we'll ever get to keep Princess but if it's for Heidi's sake and health I don't know. I don't want her to get into a deep depression when Princess suddenly leaves. That would be really heartbreaking for her. I don't know when Princess is ever going to come back then. What if we'd have to get another dog? We couldnt. Grandma just couldnt keep another dog if that's the case, and Heidi just isnt happy around Bryan George and Copper as she is Princess. I dont want to rehome Heidi because no one is better for her than us. We're the only home she's been too -

Or WORSE - what if she's so ill from depression what if we have to put her down?! What should I do? I dont want to end up putting Heidi down or rehoming her or putting her in the shelter. Im so confused and worried for her. I dont want her to take any special medicine for this depression either because we're actually in some finacial problems to I dont want my dad to worry about paying for new more expensive medication - even though that sounds selfish its the truth we cant really afford that.

If Princess and Heidi are meant to be together then I'll make them be together! But seriously, I need some help here T_T!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take a deep breath, and calm down. How long have Heidi and Princess been fence friends?
I'm sure Heidi will get over it. If she is physically healthy she won't starve herself. And I highly doubt someone will just give you their dog, just because you don't want your dog to be upset.

·
Banned
243 Posts
My boyfriend's dog is still grieving after they lost their other mastiff (who saw her through puppyhood) to old age. For a week or so at first she would not come out of her house, was disinterested in food, etc, however she did get over it.

Dogs take very well to human companionship and although other dogs are an excellent source of stimulation, should do fine without a BFF so long as they are otherwise physically and mentally stimulated by their owners.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
She (and you!) might have a tough week of it, but I don't think she'll grieve too long for her fence friend who has only been around for less than a year. If you feel like indulging her in her food strike, make something extra yummy to add to her kibble. If you don't feel like indulging her, just ignore it and she'll eat when she's hungry. Most dogs have fat to lose anyway, so she should be OK for a while. Take her for extra walks and other fun activities to help take her mind off everything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking of asking my mom if I should potentially bring Heidi back over to my house so that way she can get her mind off of Princess. I also want her to switch over to Wellness CORE. It's what all three of my dogs are eating, but I don't know how seriously my parents are going to take this. My three male dogs are eating half Kibbles N Bits and half Wellness CORE but I want to transfer them to 100% CORE small breed mainly because my grandparents have also been saying Heidi has been having issues chewing her food.

So, I've also been thinking of buying a few CORE wet food cans to help soften her food. I just dont know how seriously my parents will take this issue. I dont Heidi to dwell on Princess so thats why I think she might be a bit better over here with me in my room and away from everything else and with my company? But the problem is, she'd be locked up and Heidi hates that whenever I'm not around. But the other thing is she loves being in my room.

It's a mixed problem. I think I'll give it until Friday and see if I can keep in contact with my grandparents till then and review Heidi's behavior exactly on what she's been doing even despite Princess is not been near her by the fence.

Has she been eating? Do you think her teeth are okay? Do you think she's showing signs of depression worse than before? If it worsens by Thursday or the next time I go over there (when my mom is working next) I'll try to take a step further action. Who knows, maybe my grandparents will possibly get another dog and keep Heidi company? We cant possibly keep Princess because that's their dog. Though if we have to do something else drastic I dont know what that'd might be.

My only thoughts right now are that sound reasonable are bringing Heidi over to my house, that or watching her behavior for about a day or two while she's still over at my grandparents and see how she's coping without Princess. If she's getting better or worse etc. That's all I can think of. T_T'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts