Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering if anyone breed them or shows them.
Or if you own any Lol.

Tell me about them.

Im a proud owner of 4... 2 blues and 2 reds.

Names Jill (11yrs) Jack(10yrs) Rex (3yrs) and Missy just turned 2

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My sister has a Blue heeler Border collie cross. Heelers are great dogs IF you're prepared to deal with their energy and intensity. But, they're generally working farm/ranch dogs and not shown in conformation (at least in the US). The Show version of the Heeler is the Australian Cattle Dog.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The Heeler is like the redneck version of the ACD. Heelers (at least in this area) have no tails.

This is a popular breed in my area. They aren't bad dogs, as long as you can put up with them.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I was dogwalker a while back for two of them...Mildred and Matilda..Millie and Tillie for short.

Millie was an awesome dog, a red. She was a maniac for fetch.

Tillie was dumb as a doorknob but really sweet. That dog was kind of weird in the head. She would dump out her water bowl all over herself and then freak out because she got wet. She would bang her face on door and walls. She was healthy and well trained...just...stupid...poor girl..

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have an Australian Cattle Dog that has a bit of Catahoula in her. She is my little sweetheart. I absolutely adore her. She is very high energy outside but behaves perfectly inside. She will not leave my side, at home or in the field, except for a good chase after a rabbit. :p I had never owned one before so I don't know if she is typical of her breed but even amongst my GSD's I don't think I've ever had a more loyal dog. She is the smallest of my group (55lbs) but I call her my little powerhouse. She is surprisingly strong and fast for her size. She is very intelligent but also hardheaded. All in all though she is a wonderful dog.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
The Heeler is like the redneck version of the ACD. Heelers (at least in this area) have no tails.

This is a popular breed in my area. They aren't bad dogs, as long as you can put up with them.
the Heeler is the ACD....same dog, different names....some have tails naturally "docked", some the ranchers dock for "safety" reasons and some are left long.....they do the same thing to some of the Borders around here (dock their tails).....

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a heeler/pointer mix. He's the dog love of my life. hes so wonderful, and loving, and insanely hyper. I wouldn't trade him for anything, though. He's smart, hilariously funny, and a very good friend and workout buddy. He's good with dogs and cats, he was even friends with my rats. Hates chickens for some reason, though. He is a little stubborn as well, but hey, so am I. I live in a house full of taurus people and animals, so it comes with the territory. I think I'll probably have more heelers in the future, for as long as I can keep up with them.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Blue Heelers (they also come in red) and Australian Cattle Dogs are the same breed. Some people in this country call them heelers. The AKC recognizes them as Australian Cattle Dogs. The names are interchangable so to speak. It depends on who I am talking to as to whether I use ACD or Heeler. If I am talking to ranch folks I tend to use Heeler. General Public and show folks, I use ACD.

In Australia they are known as Queensland Heelers.

Some people(especially common with ranches) dock their tails. I never understood this. Why would you take a very agile, very quick dog and take away his "rudder" ?

There actually is another breed that is extremely similar to ACDs that is a natural bob tailed dog. The Stumpy Tailed Cattle Dog. The original cross in developing ACDs involved a breed known as a Smithfield. Which is now extinct and was a natural bob breed used as a cattle drover. Once the type, temperment and working ability was set, litters commonly produced both bob tailed and tailed dogs. Bobs and tailed dogs were bred together as they were strictly interested in working ability. Eventually the bob and tailed dogs were split and they no longer bred them together.

Over time they became known as two distinct breeds. Although they have the same origins.

There are some Stumpy Tails in the United States, but not many.

Most people probably cannot tell a Stumpy Tail from an ACD that has been docked. They are very very close. But there are some subtle differences and someone that knows ACDs can usually tell them apart. Even without tails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts