Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9mo long coat Akita has had a pretty bad itch all summer, coupled with scabs, bumps, redness, and hives all over, especially on his belly and chin. He's seen 3 different vets that all say the same thing.
"It's probably grass allergies. He'll most likely grow out of it."

That's fine and all, but he's scratching and biting to the point of injuring himself. I've had to keep an E-collar on him while I'm at work and when I'm asleep to stop him from destroying himself when I'm not looking. But it doesn't stop his legs from scratching wounds everywhere.

I've tried vet meds that did nothing but empty my wallet. Fish oil pills coupled with benedryl took a while, but seemed like it was really working. We had to put a stop to the fish oil though, because oh my god, the smell it caused my dog to waft made me want to die. It took a month for the smell to fade away.
Epsom salt baths don't have a long lasting effect, neither do the plethora of anti-itch, lavender, oatmeal, and Johnson & Johnson baby shampoos. (the soothing effect is pretty much gone by the time he's dry)
Benedryl by itself seemed to work fine, but recently, the hives have flared and are the worst I've ever seen.

Anyone know any remedies for their dog's itching? I've read good things about some "miracle product" called Dermacton, but don't know anyone who's actually used it.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Hard to find a cure when you don't really know the source of the problem.
Are you sure your dog doesn't have fleas? They can be hard to spot in a thick coat, and a dog with flea allergies can have a major reaction to even a few flea bites. I thought my dogs were developing allergies until I bought a flea comb . . . which showed me I had been in denial about a flea problem. Frontline doesn't work around here. But now that they're on Bravecto, the itching is almost gone.

·
Registered
221 Posts
They sound really severe so I would get an allergy test done and check for fleas and then treat appropriately. It could be his diet??? What is he fed?

He may have an allergy to a specific protein, grains etc so try different flavours of kibble or ultimately a lot of dogs with allergies do super well on raw food as long as it's not a meat allergy and even then you can root out a specific and feed different meats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried looking all over for parasites. He's got a lot of area to cover, but I'm pretty positive there are no fleas or ticks. I have him taking Trifexis every month in addition to a flea bath every other month at the vet, he had a tick infestation when I first got him at 3mo and trifexis did well to force them off.

We have him eating Royal Canin Maxi Puppy (There are no stores nearby that sell the Giant Junior blend, sadness). He fasts once a week to help his stomach settle, otherwise he'll have diarrhea. Though lately, he hasn't really been interested in eating. I'll give him his first bowl in the morning and he won't touch it until my boyfriend comes home around 10pm :(

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I would definitely first try a food switch. I would try something without grains and without chicken. I'd also use a different antihistamine than benedryl. Claritin and Zyrtec are good options (just plain, not the ones with extra things such as cold and flu). They work much better than benedryl for my dog with allergies. You can also try coconut oil instead of fish oil and see if that is better on the stomach. As far as shampoos, nothing really works that great. I've used some anti-itch hydro cortisone shampoos that didn't last very long.. but they worked alright I guess.

Also.. I'm not sure why your vets think your dog will grow out of allergies. Generally allergies get worse as they get older.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts