Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my dog has been on heat twice since we've got her a year ago. the first time she had a phantom. milk produced, swelling of stomach, tired all the time. this was in September.in December we got a puppy ( from another bitch), and this pup would try to suckle off her. now shes just had another heat and shes producing milk again. could this be because her body thinks that its her puppy? or is there another health problem i should be aware of? she couldn't possibly be pregnant either.

thanks in advance !

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Most pups will try to nurse off of adult dogs, at least a few times anyway till they figure out nothing's going on.

As for the heat cycles, that can be normal for some dogs but I think it's more of a risk of pyo, so it might be wise to have her spayed in a few month's time so it's not an issue. Or she'll likely cycle twice a year with those symtoms. I think mastitus is possible too if she's producing milk...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
False pregnancies are seen. My Dutch bitch actually tries to "mother" a litter of tennis balls lol. She rounds them up, nests with them, and nuzzles them to her as if trying to get them to nurse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts