Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 year old beagle went into heat in November of 2009. She has never gone into heat again. I didn't get her spayed. She does have one nipple that didn't grow in but the vet told me that's not abnormal. She lived with a boy stray we took in for six months but he was only about 9 months at the time. They never made any puppies. I don't want to breed my girl but should I get her spayed when she never goes into heat? Could she be sick? Honestly the one time I thought she was in heat was because boy dogs that had been after the neighbor's dog when she was in heat started coming into my yard. I never saw any blood from my girl though and she is an inside dog and we have white furniture so I should have seen something if she was bleeding. So I should say maybe she went into heat once.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Spay her. She could be having silent heats and/or be keeping herself clean.

I'd just spay her and get it over with.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Sometimes certain bitches have very subtle heats. They may not appear to be in heat at all, but there's still a chance that they could get pregnant. The fact that you can't tell if she's in heat or not makes it very risky, especially since you have intact males that hang around her. I'd strongly recommend that you get her spayed. I wouldn't guess that she's sick if you've taken her to the vet and they don't seem to suspect that she's sick. If you are concerned with her health or she is displaying any other unusual symptoms, you can get a complete blood panel at the vet, rather than simply a check up. I'd still highly recommend getting her spayed, though. And, if I recall correctly, usually you have to get blood work done before your dog goes under anyways, so that could be two birds with one stone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts