Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
it depends on what breed of dog you have. If you have a breed related to the collie family, such as

Australian Shepherd
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
Collie
Border Collie
Shetland sheepdog
English Shepherd

then I would recommend something that doesn't contain Ivermectin, if the dog is a "collie type" or "collie type" mix and it has not yet been tested for the MDR1 gene then play it safe and don't use Ivermectin.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well, Heartgard also removes most intestinal worms, which is nice. And you have to be careful in dosing with Ivomec, but it is a lot cheaper. They're the same active ingredient, with pros and cons to both choices. Depends on your circumstances, I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you ... I have a lab who is sick right now but for the future. I have always used heartguard but with her went with ivormec, she is still a puppy so weight is changing constantly the doseage is what scares me. I think I will go with the heartguard, mainly because I bought feedstore 7in1 shots and she recently came down with parvo.. At this point I am thinking better safe then sorry.....Thank you again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
For puppy owners of large breed dogs at work we sell one pill at a time until they hit about 50lbs then we sell them a normal 6 month-12 month supply. The reason is the dosing on heartguard goes something like 0-25lbs, 26-50lbs, 50-100lbs. The pups are growing quick enough that it's a waste of money to buy a 6 month supply of anything but the largest size because they'll out grow the dosing before you finish it.

For a dog over a hundred pounds you mix and match. Say it was 130 lbs, you give 1 50-100lbs pill and one 26-50lb pill to make the correct dosage.

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts