Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little dog I adopted yesterday is heartworm positive. I knew this when I adopted him. The family who had him before us (and failed to take him to the vet for a checkup in two years of owning him) neglected his care and he developed heartworm. The dad said that if the shelter could get proof from a vet, they'd pay for it. Whether they do or not, he needs to be treated.

I am prepared to pay for it if I need to. My failed engagement has left me with a decent amount of money that was supposed to go into the wedding, but I was just wondering on average how much heartworm treatment generally runs? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Heartworm treatment is pretty expensive as it's an arsenic based treatment. You will have to keep your new baby quiet until he gets cleared. I'm not sure of the exact amounts because I've never had to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Both of our dogs went through heartworm treatments and it ran around $500 each. They spend one day at the vet receiving their first dose, then returned about a month later for the 2nd dossage. They both had to remain still with minimal movement (crated perferably) for the entire month.

Ilya, our husky, didn't do too well on the treatment and we almost lost him because he has anxiety and colitus issues. He had to be sedated. Lola, did very well. She didn't show any discomfort and didn't seem to mind being still majority of the time. I hear most dogs go through the same experience that Lola does.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both of our dogs went through heartworm treatments and it ran around $500 each. They spend one day at the vet receiving their first dose, then returned about a month later for the 2nd dossage. They both had to remain still with minimal movement (crated perferably) for the entire month.

Ilya, our husky, didn't do too well on the treatment and we almost lost him because he has anxiety and colitus issues. He had to be sedated. Lola, did very well. She didn't show any discomfort and didn't seem to mind being still majority of the time. I hear most dogs go through the same experience that Lola does.
Thanks for the information. I'm hoping the former owners go through with paying, although there's no way I'd not pay if they refused. I think this guy would handle it okay - he seems really calm in stressful situations (although that may just be because of the heartworms)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
It depends on how severe his infestation is and what treatment is given. Mild forms can be treated with ivermectin and would be less expensive....at least they should be b/c ivermectin is pretty inexpensive. You really need to talk to the vet to find out for sure though.

Heartworm is definitely easier (and cheaper) to prevent than treat!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It depends on how severe his infestation is and what treatment is given. Mild forms can be treated with ivermectin and would be less expensive....at least they should be b/c ivermectin is pretty inexpensive. You really need to talk to the vet to find out for sure though.

Heartworm is definitely easier (and cheaper) to prevent than treat!
I agree with you there :) My 9 year old lab has been on preventatives since we got him and has never had a problem, nor has it ever made our bank account struggle!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
hgrace,

Does the shelter provide assistance? The one we adopted both of ours did 100% through donations.

I had to pay for Ilya's extra cost like the sedatives, pain meds, some sort of blood thining agent (he coughed terribly), and some other meds to help his digestion get back on track.

Lola... I don't think she needed anything else. She just slept a lot the first week.

Sometimes they x-ray the chest to see how severe the heartworms are. This can be expensive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now, I am waiting for word from the previous owner. He was treated for heartworm before they adopted him and was good to go, and when they neglected to take him to the vet or give him preventatives, he developed it again. The shelter screened him when they brought him back, but they won't believe the shelter until they see official proof from a vet, and the former owners SAID they'd pay for treatment if they got this proof. I took the vet's note to the shelter yesterday so they could get in contact, so I'm waiting until Friday or Saturday until then.

If that doesn't go through, we are responsible for paying and perfectly willing to do so.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
At my vet it was around $500 which included the pain meds (yep the shots are painful) and sedation, and the follow up visit. Hopefully the former owners will pay for all of it and if they can't swing that, maybe half. I give mine their HW preventative faithfully because as someone said it's a lot cheaper and easier to prevent the cure.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts