Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums, but need some help.

My fiancee and I are working with our local Humane Society in their Foster-to-Adopt program and the dog we're fostering is going through heartworm treatments. His last check up is May 15th when we can officially adopt him.

Though the foster coordinator explained to us that we need to keep him calm so his heart doesn't get pumping all too much, she didn't really say much else.

Our dog is a Chinese Crested/Jack Russell mix, so he's definitely a companion dog, but that Russell puppy energy peaks through every now and again.

Basically, he was never without a human around in his old home(he's 3 years old), so I'm worried what kind of stress it would put on him when I have to work for 3 hours tonight.

Has anyone else done this before and what steps did you take to make sure your dog was the most comfortable and ended up super healthy?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I really feel for you! My girl, Willow, was heartworm positive when we adopted her. She needed 2 months of rest before she was able to do "normal dog" things like walks, etc.

Our vet's advice was to keep her crated 24/7 unless she was settled down next to us for petting or a bone. No walks, no play, no excitement (as you can imagine, this was VERY hard for a young Husky mix!).

Unfortunately, Willow had no prior crate training, so she worked herself up to a panic in the crate. This was obviously backwards from what was intended. So, we built her a nice quiet area where she could rest and relax but not run around or play vigorously. You can use a laundry room, a pen indoors (depending on breed/size), or even an outdoor kennel if the location is quiet and the dog is fairly mellow (not reactive).

Willow needed 2 trips to the vet during her treatment for anti-inflammatory meds due to the rough coughing. Even the slightest bit of excitement would set her off, so please do be careful with allowing your pup any exercise or activity (I know it's hard!).

As for leaving him home alone, I would leave him in a safe area with quiet music playing (or maybe the TV left on). Give him a nice juicy bone or a stuffed Kong to chew on. This will hopefully keep him occupied while you are away, and keep his stress/excitement level low.

Good luck and thank you for helping this poor pup!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for that info! I take him on walks (very short ones), but that's because we live in an apartment complex and that's about all I can do for him to relieve himself.

Is it normal for him to not have much of an appetite? Also, he had a runny noise the first night we brought him home and had a few coughs, but it seemed to clear up the next day. I called the Foster coordinator about it today, though, just to make sure and she said it wasn't much to worry about unless it persists for awhile.

He also has been almost clearing his throat every so often today, but I'm assuming that may be because of his runny noise from last night. He takes very long naps and did great his first night home.

I'm glad my fiancee and I decided to help out a needy dog because we honestly feel he was meant for us and our growing family. Besides his lack of doggy socialization and slight separation issues, he's absolutely perfect. I feel that once he is completely done with his treatment, it will be a breeze to socialize him and get him used to our schedule.

Thanks again, hon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts